How do i remove the airbox on a GS 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i remove the airbox on a GS 1000

The tee going into the center carbs on my 15,000 mile 79 GS1000 started leaking and i need to remove the airbox to get at the tee and try and seal it up without pulling the carbs.....what's the easiest way to get that thing out of there......i wanna fix it because it is the only issue this survivor bike has.......or sell it

Thanks and Peace
    WildBill

Don't F around with Mickey Mouse fixes. Pull the carbs, break them down, and replace the fuel Tee and fuel transfer tubes. There are nice aftermarket parts that use proper O-rings. I rebuild a lot of carbs, and trust me, it's not a difficult project. Hardest part is removing the carbs. Once on the bench, you can replace the required parts in an hour or less.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

See what he ^^^^ said... Also carbs come off first, then the airbox... Won't happen the other way. Great looking bike.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If it's anything like the '82-'83 11E, a dremel with a cutting wheel should get the job done in a few hours. If you're lucky.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So.....i guess i will pull the carbs and do it right....i have a service manual and will read it's instructions....i have done the valves....rebuilt the calipers and installed electronic ignition.....i am sure i can do the carbs......what are the odds that i can do it and not have to sync the carbs ?

I've got a dremel with a cutting wheel ....

Peace
          WildBill

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I've got a dremel with a cutting wheel ....
            Another reason why pods are better than stock airbox. Carbs come off and go on in a snap!
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well....i got everything un-hooked and loose but there is no way that there is enough room to get the carbs off the boots and slide them out......has anyone tried taking the exhaust off and putting the bike on the center stand.....supporting the motor with a jack and unbolting the front motor mounts to let the motor lean forward so the carbs can be removed ?
              That looks like the only way without cutting out the air box......
              WildBill

Comment

Box that holds the filter must come out, should be 2 bolts holding the front box in, remove them. that box should mobe a tiny bit rearward, then just force the carbs out, it bill kind'f bend and wadd the rubber boos, just keep pulling and twisting... Yep, it ain't easy... and just my opinion, I take no responsibility for anything..
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                X