Bottom of the air-box hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom of the air-box hose?

I just got done cleaning and rebuilding my carbs on my 81 GS750E. First time doing this and learning lots. Getting everything put back together over the next couple of days and I see a hose connected to the bottom of the airbox. Does this plug into anything? Or is it left open? If left open for air draw where does this get fed....under the battery?

Also any pro-tips on getting these carbs back into he carb boots? I'm having a bugger of a time getting them to seat in all the way.

Thanks everyone, great group here.

Warm the boots with a heat gun and a little WD40 can get the carbs into the boots provided they’re still supple and not hard and cracked.

The port at the bottom of the forward airbox is a drain. It gets a hose that runs to a sqaureish opening at the right rear of the engine base so it drains to ground off to the side instead of directly in front of the rear tire. The last one I bought came with a plug and hose clamp. I just empty the few drops of oil vapor that collect out of there every few hundred miles or so. The fuel tank sending unit gasket drain (there only for/if that gasket ever leaks), and the battery overflow drain (if you still run a fillable lead/acid battery with a drain) should be run to the same location.

see here. Part # 9
    Shop online for OEM Air Cleaner parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS750E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks for this tips and this photo. They are very helpful!

Comment

The factory hose coupling/fitting at bottom of airbox is to drain liquid overflow when there’s no suction in airbox …I.e. engine not running . When running, it likely contains a small plastic ball that sucks upwards and blocks this opening. Similar principle to that ping pong ball in a wet/dry vacuum that shuts off when it’s full.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          The factory hose coupling/fitting at bottom of airbox is to drain liquid overflow when there’s no suction in airbox …I.e. engine not running . When running, it likely contains a small plastic ball that sucks upwards and blocks this opening. Similar principle to that ping pong ball in a wet/dry vacuum that shuts off when it’s full.
          Sort of like a check valve....
          Mine is just pinched on the end so the hose closes while running.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
          X