Recently ran bike after carb rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently ran bike after carb rebuild.

I've recently rebuilt my carbs on my GS850 and rejetted with a dynojet kit.
    floats are all in spec, new O-rings from Ed, new intake O-rings, valves seem to still be in spec although some might be a little tight. Everything is stock apart from jets and pod filters.

Valve clearances are as follows.
    Cylinder 1:
    inlet = .03 mm
    exhaust = .08 mm

Cylinder 2:
    Inlet = .04 mm
    Exhaust = .06 mm

Cylinder 3:
    Inlet = .03 mm
    exhaust = .05 mm

Cylinder 4:
    Inlet= .03 mm
    Exhaust. 04 mm

The bike seems to idle well and Rev up smoothly. Haven't taken it for a ride yet but I have had it on the center stand and Rev up through to 3rd gear and seems to be smooth.

I did have a few pops/backfires that sounded like it was coming out of the carbs on Cylinder 1 when I first started the bike after the rebuild but I think that was just a poor mixture/fuel supply as I was having a little trouble setting up my fuel supply while i had the tank off.

After keeping the bike at about 3000rpm for a minute I turned the bike off and checked the plugs. 1 and 2 seem to he running richer than 3 and 4. Ill add some pics of them in the comments. The mixture screw are all out 4.5 turns which is what dynojet suggests.

I didn't seem to need any syncing of the carbs which I thought was odd and when I Rev the bike cylinders 3 and 4 seem to have a stronger vacuum than cylinders 1 and 2. Here's a video of it.
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like WombatScat.

what are your thoughts and opinions?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Cylinder 2 plug

Comment

Cylinder 3 plug

Comment

Cylinder 4 plug

Comment

All your plugs indicate very rich. At 3000 rpm with no load you will be running on the pilot jet (assuming that the choke plungers are closing and sealing). Correct running on the pilot should look something like this

4.5 turns out on the mixture screws seems like a lot. If it were me, I'd set the mixture screw back to standard and start experimenting from there. Pods don't flow more air at idle as the filter isn't the biggest restriction to airflow with the throttle cracked at/above idle. The throttle butterfly is. If the airflow isn't much different from stock the fuel required at the pilot won't be that much different either.
          Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 03-24-2024, 07:08 PM.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
          ​​
          Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Normally I'd agree that those plugs look rich but running it at 3k for a minute isn't getting the engine up to operating temperature. Take it out for a run and get it warmed up for a more accurate "plug chop" reading!
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

You shouldn't try to do plug readings on a bike running without any load.

I'd back down the pilot screws to a level that achieves the highest idle speed. Typically about 2.5 turns open. Do that and go ride. Maybe perform a wet fuel level test too.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
              X