No announcement yet.

81 GS1100 with 29 smoothbores.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rode it today and got some mid range A/F numbers. It's still fat in the middle although a bit better with the 120 jets than the 125's. I'm going to pull the carbs and drop the needles a notch or two. While apart, I'll catalog the slide number, jet needle and pilot jet sizes.
    I went to the industrial park by my buddy's dyno shop, where I keep my hot rod stored in winter, there is a few block long street with no driveways or side streets, I hammered the gs a little and was amazed at the sound of the Kerker echoing off of the warehouse buildings.

Comment

I went to the storage unit and traded a Honda for the GS. The petcock stuck or the inline filter must have plugged, It was extremely lean so I just got it home. Later I tried it again and it ran fine, still too rich though. I pulled the carbs and checked the slow jets, I ordered the next smaller two sizes before I noticed the slides are 1.5's, everything I've read says the Suzuki wants 2.0's. which I can buy for $75 each. That's a deal breaker so I'm going to list the smoothbores for sale and hopefully buy a set of 36's. I did buy a set of Sudco carb adapters to put the 29's on a CB750, they may be the next to last set in captivity. Z1 enterprises has one more set.

Comment

I got the new jets from Z1 ent. right after I found a nice box of them in my brothers tool box, I dropped the mains and pilots both 2 sizes and left the 1 size over air jets. It's a happy GS1100 now, the air fuel ratio never got fatter than 12-1. I wrote down the Greg Cope jet suggestions from the APE web site.
        I'll likely keep the 29's on it unless someone wants them badly enough to pay close to what they are selling for. I did finally find and buy a set of the intake rubbers that fit the Kawasaki - Suzuki carb spread to a cb750 SOHC engine.

Comment

Apparently when it went lean leaving storage it was out of gas, When I got home and it ran good I must have slopped some from the right side over to the left side. When I left tonight it ran out and picked up when I got the petcock onto reserve. No odometer and I didn't think the gauge was on empty yet.
          Anyway, I'm getting a kick out of the afr meter. I can see the fat area of the fuel metering caused by the 1.5 slides. It certainly runs better than it did going full rich. Still no air filters from APE. Jegs held my money for a month with no filters.
          A fill-up from reserve was 3 gallons. I used 5 gallons of evaporust in it. so reserve is pretty deep.

Comment

Working...
          X