No announcement yet.

Jets, jets, more jets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve, look at you with the super sweet picture! Thanks for that, I will be using that very soon.

I've looked through all the information here, and had the opportunity to speak to a machinist/mechanic of local noteriety as well. He used to be a factory mechanic for KTM, and has built everything possible, and knew my bike, and its' factory spec of the top of his head. Yeah, this guy is worth listening to.

He explained a bit more about using pods, and what happens when you do.... I thought I would share, as it was important information....

The stock airbox reduces air turbulence around the carb intake area. With the pods, there is a large reduction in 'calm' air entering the carbs. He commented that the stock airbox was well engineered, and explained that it settles the air before it enters the carbs. He said you could reposition your legs to block off airflow to the two outside carbs and actually notice a difference. (I may try that out for fun.)

Anyways, he pointed to the needles, and said that I would never really quite get the tuning right without replacing them with a more tapered needle, just like the Dynojet ones. (thanks to all who pointed me in that direction!)

Now, all I have to do is find a source for these needles, without having to drop down 125 bucks on a kit from Dynojet that I don't need. I just need the needles....

Another story he shared.... He built a mini sprint car with a GSXR motor. They were running top 3 in their class, when they tried an experiment that a Suzuki Racing engineer shared... He said, 'try putting Gatorade bottles on the carbs'. Cut the ends off, slide the mouth of the bottle onto the carbs, (which match perfectly) and they gained nearly 50hp! Hilarious. They tested it on a dyno beforehand..... Nobody could catch that guy after that mod.

thanks again for all the help, now it's off to find needles.

Comment

I have an 82G with open can and K&N Pods.
      Went with the DJ kit, 165 main, 3rd clip with no washers, stock pilots(whatever that is) Mix screw 4-5 turns out.
      The slides must be drilled to allow more air flow and that little air inlet port or whatever is has to have a little airflow restrictor glued into it(someone correct my termonology please)

Get the kit! Everything to get your bike running the best it can run is there. No kidding, you'll be amazed how worth while this kit is.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

A 165 main? That seems HUGE to me, considering the stock being a 115.... Well, what do I know. I'm clearly way off base, and I can't seem to find the jet needles by themselves anyways. *sigh*. Nothin' like waitin' on payday again.

Comment

Originally posted by loudest143 View Post
          A 165 main? That seems HUGE to me, considering the stock being a 115.... Well, what do I know. I'm clearly way off base, and I can't seem to find the jet needles by themselves anyways. *sigh*. Nothin' like waitin' on payday again.
          Don't let that large number fool you. DJ jets and Mikuni jets are not the same AND there is a restrictor put in the main air jet to slow the pull of the fuel from the bowl and changes the air/fuel mix.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A 165 Dyno jet is about the same as a 155 Mikuni jet. That's still richer than I would expect, but if it works, ...

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I cant remember jet sizes and settings but

I have a Gs1000 on pods and straight through pipe with stage 3 DJ kit and it runs a treat

I have a very early Gsx1100 on pods and straight through pipe jetted by myself with stock needles, i tried every combination of jets and settings and many hours of head scratching before finally realising i wasnt gonna get it right without a DJ kit.

I have made do with very rich low range, sweet midrange and lean high range as i rarely ride in the highrange these days.

When i have some surplus cash i WILL be investing in the DJ kit, i really do think they are the answer

Comment

Oh also, the gs1000 is on a dyna ignition and the gsx1100 on stock ignition, i doubted the ignition so swapped out the stock for the dyna off the gs, made no difference but made it clearer in my head that those tapered needles in the DJ kits make all the difference

Comment

Overwhelming evidence for the Dyno kits. I am shocked that nobody else seems to make an aftermarket setup. The dyno stuff must be just that GOOD.

Comment

Overwhelming evidence for the Dyno kits. I am shocked that nobody else seems to make an aftermarket setup. The dyno stuff must be just that GOOD.
                    There are others, Factory Pro comes to mind. DJ has been doing it a long time and jetting is pretty close to spot on when you're done if the rest of the bike is in a good state of tune.

Comment

The kit comes with a 155-160 and a 165. Instrucitons said to use the 165 with my setup. In the beginning WOT was great but the needles had to be adjusted a couple of times.
                      If Im not mistaken the kit says to use a washer with the clip on the third notch which to my logic would put it at 2.5 clicks. The plugs were a bit on the lighter(color) side and the bike had slight popping just(bairly) off idle. First adjustment I raised the needle a full click with washer(3.5 from top)and the bike ran like ass. Finally decided to go with 3 clicks and no washer(thanks Chef). Made a huge difference, the plugs look a bit rich(dark) but Im ok with that. My exhaust is not sealed from header to muffler so I have some popping on decel. But there again, its all good. The carbs dont have to be removed to adjust the needles and replacing those phillips head screws on the tops with hex heads sure make the job easier.

Edited to add, I have yet to sync the carbs.
                      Last edited by Octain; 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM. Reason: just cause!
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

100 bux at denniskirk.com
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                          The carbs dont have to be removed to adjust the needles and replacing those phillips head screws on the tops with hex heads sure make the job easier.
                          I'm with ya on the screw replacement, I've already got allen heads on there, and you're right.... Raise the tank up, pull out the diaphrams and re-do the needles. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. I use a 2x4 resting just in front of the tailpiece to just above the tank pad on the frame. It's a very highly technical tool.

Comment

+1 on the Dynojet kit. Used to have K&N pods with the stock carbs and a V&H 4-1 pipe and with the stage 3 Dynojet kit it ran really well.

Also, you probably already know this but be sure to use some anti-seize on those spark plugs when you're doing plug chops. It makes the plugs easier to remove and makes life easier for your spark plug holes.

Comment

From all the overwhelming advice from seasoned, grizzled vets around here, I've ordered the Dynojet kit from Z1enterprises. Lowest price on the net at 95 bucks. 117 out the door with priority shippiing, should land in the mailbox tomorrow. Then a jetting session on sunday, and back on the road right after that. Hopefully.

Thanks again for all the advice.

loudest143
                              Evan Turner is THE MAN. It's always nice when we beat Michigan.

Comment

do your testing after installing the jet kit with the emgo's off.
                                as i mentioned before...they will cause you a great deal of trouble.
                                order a set of K&N look a likes from APE or whoever you choose(60-70 bucks).
                                terry

Comment

Working...
                                X