No announcement yet.

Mikuni 29mm carbs from KZ1000 on GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup sounds like 28s..and think about getting with Chef..he rebuilds them and i am sure there are several others here that can domit or answer all the questions you will have.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nice smiley

Bmac

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
        While fairly rare, there were sets of VM29's sold with an accelerator pump. Plus there was a Mikuni add-on kit to install an accelerator pump on VM29's.

All those factory fitted sets had the 17mm hex head drain plug on the float bowls.
        no set of smooth bores that i have ever seen have an accel pump on em
        nor did i ever hear of or see accel pump kits for sale or added to a set of 29MM smoothbore carbs
        i have seen many sets of 28mm kawi 1000 carbs trying to be sold as smoothbores
        but if you know what your looking for you'll know that they are not 29MM smoothbores
        i am not to saying that the 28mm pumpers are not a nice upgrade for a GS because they are
        but they are defiantly not 29mm smoothbores

Comment

Post 18 said they were measuring 28.3 thus they are 28 pumpers..i would say
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Post 18 said they were measuring 28.3 thus they are 28 pumpers..i would say
            yup agreed
            and i did see that thanks
            i was replying specifically to the quote in my first reply
            if these 29 smoothie pumpers exist and i'm almost cretin they don't
            i would love to see some detailed pictures of them

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
              no set of smooth bores that i have ever seen have an accel pump on em
              nor did i ever hear of or see accel pump kits for sale or added to a set of 29MM smoothbore carbs
              The Mikuni kit existed - I know because I have owned and sold them. We came across a couple of them when we bought an old dealer out a few years ago.
              If you look at the float bowl and carb body castings for the later (1978 and up) 29 smoothbores, you'll see the provision for the accelerator pump. We have helped several customers locate parts for the VM29 accelerator pump - it's basically the same as fitted on the Mikuni VM26's and VM28's fitted to Kawasaki models in 79/80. I have some pictures somewhere of the pumper VM29's. I'll post them if I can find them.

Comment

Here's one picture - not great quality

Comment

a better shot - although the carbs don't have the rubber hose going between the float bowls in the picture.

Comment

My boss had a set of 29 pumpers, and he got them for free since they were on a trade-in bike.

Comment

well i have learned something new
                      and i stand corrected
                      thank you jeff for providing the pictures
                      i assume then that you had to change all the float bowls for this little mod to work then
                      interesting little tidbit on the 29MM smoothbores
                      thanks again

Comment

Looks like only the #2 will pump on that rack. No hoses connecting the carbs through the bowls.
                        You could get them all to pump just by changing the gasket on the #2 to allow the fuel to pump through all those float bowl nipples, change the rest of the gaskets to allow the flow up to the pump jet in the venturi and add the pump jets to all carbs. I'm not sure if there is a port in those stock carbs to pump the fuel up or that you would need to replace all the bowls with the ports.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Looks like only the #2 will pump on that rack. No hoses connecting the carbs through the bowls. .
                          As I noted in the post, the carbs are missing the hoses between the float bowls - they are normally installed (see the other picture).

The carbs came from Mikuni like this. The add-on kit wasn't as integrated and required drilling and tapping. I have an old Gem Trading catalog for back in the day showing the accel pump kit as an add-on part number.

Comment

Looking for information on 28mm Mikunis

I am playing with a 1100 GPZ that was refit with what I think are late model 28mm.(refrencing the Z1 Ent. pictures) First set I ever saw, I am not an experienced mechanic. I am looking for advise as to where to look for info. on rebuilding, adjusting, that stuff. I am advised, and am looking for a rag-tag 74ish Kawasaki 900 manual that might cover them. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X