No announcement yet.

Jet Needle Question URGENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it would have to be awfully clogged to be causing a problem. Have you tried starting it up yet?
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Well, They are all back together... New O-ring kit, 4 new Rubber boot O-rings, Stainless intake rubber boot capscrews all from Mr RobertBarr, 4 rebuild kits, new bowl capscrews. Bench sync'd.
      Just waiting for 4 new intake rubber boots from PartShark.
      Also waiting for warm weather as it snowed here last night

Comment

looking good rick
        hoping that you can get them on and tested soon don't feel bad it snowed here today too but on the plus side it's gonna be between 10 and 16 for the rest of the week here
        talk to you soon

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
          on the plus side it's gonna be between 10 and 16 for the rest of the week here
          talk to you soon
          Gee,...Thanks

I worked mon, tues, wed,... have to work today, tomorrow, sat, sun, mon, tues, wed, thurs.
          Hope its still warm next friday.

Comment

Sheesh, finally my boots arrived.
            Not slaming vendors here but getting charged 29.50 US for a box that has a US postage stamp on it saying $11.50 and its not even express post.
            Then get an additional rectological going over by the Cdn. customs charging me a further $11.47 for tax HERE! Free trade my a**.

Ok, rant over...

I go into the basement where my carbs sit on a bench waiting...just for fun I grab the linkage cam and go to open the carbs to watch the slides go wayyy up. "Holy Crap!" Its like its in glue. When I let them close they don't snap shut..again, like its in glue.
            They've been sitting so long the residue of the cleaning fluid I soaked them in is tacking up.
            Soooo..Off come the upper caps, and after goofing around removing many bolts, remove all the slides and wash them all in varsol 1 at a time.
            And when I had them apart, I decided to raise the stock needles 1 notch from stock #3 position while the carbs were out of the bike.
            My reasoning is this, I am running a 4 into 1 and do plan on getting a K&N stock replacement filter very soon. And even if the bike is going to be rich right now, its not going to murder the performance. Just a little poorer gas mileage and darker plugs. If I have to, I'll pull them out and put the needles back to stock position.

Comment

You said your fuel inlet screw (the one in the bottom of the float bowls) was 1.5 turns from seated? Thats way too rich, even with a new filter and header. STOCK should be about .5 to .75 turns out... thats probably your issue...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                You said your fuel inlet screw (the one in the bottom of the float bowls) was 1.5 turns from seated? Thats way too rich, even with a new filter and header. STOCK should be about .5 to .75 turns out... thats probably your issue...
                Yep, when I reassembled the carbs that screw is now at 3/4 turn from seated to get the bike running. Plug chops will be done.

Comment

Holy yumpin' yimminy.
                  When they manufactured these bikes back in the day, the friggen assembly line sure must have slowed down when it got to the poor sucker who had to install carbs.
                  Everything is pretty much installed and now I'm just going to take my gas can and get a couple of gallons of gas. Hopefully theres no leaks when I open the petcock to prime.
                  Stick in the battery and we'll see....

Comment

I'm going to guess here, if you have a stock bike except for a Mac pipe, which flows no better than stock, and if you are trying to tune for Alberta's elevation, isn't it 4,800 ft. or so?
                    I would think 102.5 main jet would be too big for a GS1000, and cause it to run quite rich.

Did you do a complete series of plug chops to determine you needed bigger jets, and to determine which jets needed to be bigger?
                    Or did you dyno runs to analyse the mixture?

Or was the 102.5 a suggestion from someone else?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Its alive!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      I'm going to guess here, if you have a stock bike except for a Mac pipe, which flows no better than stock, and if you are trying to tune for Alberta's elevation, isn't it 4,800 ft. or so?
                      I would think 102.5 main jet would be too big for a GS1000, and cause it to run quite rich.

Did you do a complete series of plug chops to determine you needed bigger jets, and to determine which jets needed to be bigger?
                      Or did you dyno runs to analyse the mixture?

Or was the 102.5 a suggestion from someone else?
                      As far as I know the bike is stock, and even though I live here I'll be darned if I know the elevation.

Plug chops have not been done yet. I have to renew my plate for 2010. Registration places are closed today for the holiday but I'll get it tomorrow. Nice thing is my insurance is good til this sept

I had my jetting done here in Edmonton at a shop that is supposed to be an expert at the old Jap multis. They were the ones that put in the 102.5's.
                      What I've found out (after disassembling the carbs) was all they did was increase the mains, and most likely richen up the pilot screws (1 1/2 turns from seated). My needles were never touched (clip was still in the 3rd slot). So to say I'm dissapointed in the work would be an understatement. Especially when the owner is the guy who told me what was done when I asked specificly what jets were done and by how much.

BUT!!!
                      On a super plus note......IT FIRED RIGHT UP!!!!!!!!

Put the tank on, hooked up the hoses, dumped in 10 liters of 91 octane, then turned the fuel cock to prime...and prayed. Waited a good minute and no leaks!
                      I cranked the engine with no choke to get the oil circulated til the oil light went out.
                      Half choke, turn the key, hit the starter....about 5 revolutions then VROOM.
                      As it warmed the idle crept up til it was at 2500 rpm with no choke. I turned the idle down and it just friggen PURRED at 1000 rpm with no burbles.
                      SUHHHHWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!
                      I'm so freakin pumped you can't believe. And I was so worried I was gonna bugger something up re-assembling the carbs.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Now go ride the dang thing!!

Happy for ya!
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Ok, heres how today broke down. I was going to drive my bike around to warm it up then stop on the side of the hiway leading north out of Edm and change the plugs out for new ones. Then drive up the shoulder at 30 mph at low throttle and do a plug chop for the pilot screws.
                          Lo and behold, I get my stuff together and go outside to start the bike...the battery is too weak to start it
                          So I boost it off my car....Now I'm thinking I DON'T want to shut it off far from home in case it won't restart. So I drive around never getting above quarter throttle for about 20 min...come down the long street back to my driveway at about 3,000 RPM and just before I have to slow for the turn into my complex, I hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch.

This is one plug. Now...these plugs were brand new for when I started the bike after redoing the carbs. I had the bike running maybe a total of 7 minutes yesterday on choke and at idle.
                          What you see is from that 7 minutes from yesterday and the 20 minutes today.
                          Side screws are 1 1/2 turns out and pilot screws are 3/4 turn out
                          I have my ideas, but I want your opinion.

Oh, BTW...turning the sidescrews in or out yesterday made NO difference to the idle speed (no choke)

Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Looks a hair lean to me.. but pics are hard to tell.. I think I see some TAN down in there..which is good.. But if its running well, and the plugs arent jet white and pitted, ride it around for a bit, see how it feels.. The plug chops are good, but if you let yourself, you can simply go INSANE trying to get the perfect mix...the absolute best tell is how the bike responds, period. *I* dont think that plug looks unsafely lean. I probably wouldnt mess with it MUCH more, if I wasnt able to get it just a tad darker than that..

Comment

K..thats one reply, anyone else?

I'm tending to agree about the lean "look"...now.
                              And yes, it was sunny when I took those pics. The soot I think was from yesterday.
                              After examining all the plugs, I turned The pilots in another 1/8 turn. And I think I fooled myself with the soot on the plug.
                              Driving it after turning the screws in, it now pops and backfires on deceleration. And, when I pulled into my driveway I pulled in the clutch to stop and it stalled.
                              During the extended ride around the city, it seemed to run well. But one long stretch of continuous throttle I'm positive one cyl. cut out so that it ran on 3. Dunno whats up with that.
                              What I think i'm going to do is warm it up tomorrow then change out the plugs for the new ones, do my little run down the shoulder and chop it. Then check the plugs there on the side of the road.

Comment

IN leans it out..may have wanted to go out that 1/8 turn...
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X