yet another carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sam78gs750 View Post
    This sounds about right... that answers the question I was asking, thank you. (The pdf link that basscliff posted was full of useful info as well.)

As far as running with the headers off, that just sounds like bad business, sorry....

I'm not worried about the carb sync right now, like I said I got them pretty close with the bench sync, and have a manometer on the way. I will do a proper vacuum sync when it arrives. Right now I'm just trying to tweak the idle air/fuel settings.
    If it's close now, I'd just wait until you can get them synched, then do your adjustments. Also make sure your valves are adjusted within spec..that can have an impact on your carb adjustments and your synch.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

valves were just adjusted and are in spec

Comment

Crikey, it's a SPACESHIP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by teddux View Post
          For no manometer:
          I personally would proceed at night with the exhaust manifold OFF.
          by exhaust manifold off, do you mean take the headers off?
          Yes, you would be surprised at what you will SEE, no neighborhoods, but of course!
          Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          WOW. Please don't try and adjust your carbs by taking the exhaust manifold off.
          And why is that? I do it all the time, in fact, I ain't got headers or mufflers.
          I have been following this thread and a few others, and at this point, I am going to have to respectfully ask:

Teddux, stay the heck away from my garage and my bikes.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

it sounds like you have both the carb sync and air/fuel screws good enough for the bike to run well enough to fine tune.

Now do a carb sync with the manometer. You maybe surprised how much of a difference there is between the 4 carbs with just the bench sync. As you know, you need all 4 slides moving in sync before you start tuning the air screws.

Not to guess your ability to perform an accurate bench sync but you will be off some and the manometer will show that.

Once the carb's are sync'd then start tuning the air screws. The 3/4 turns of the fuel are pretty good for the VM carbs plus it's a PITA to adjust these screws with the carbs on the engine.

If you can show us pictures of the manometer vacuums on the carbs before and after you adjusting them.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

How to proceed? Wait for the manometer to arrive, sync, and adjust for highest idle.

Appears you have done your homework thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I have been following this thread and a few others, and at this point, I am going to have to respectfully ask:

Teddux, stay the heck away from my garage and my bikes.

Have you EVER seen me near your garage or your bikes?

Like I said, it's NOT a SPACESHIP.
                Stop the misleading.

Also, mind most of you blow your cover...
                Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Stop the misleading.
                  What exactly is misleading?
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Have you EVER seen me near your garage or your bikes? ...
                    I don't know what you look like, so I don't know.
                    On the other hand, I have not had anybody verbalizing the ideas I have seen in your posts, so I will assume that you have not been here.

Like I said, it's NOT a SPACESHIP.
                    Stop the misleading.
                    Actually, you need to go back and see what you wrote:
                    So, ... is it a spaceship or not?

Also, mind most of you blow your cover...
                    Forget the "misleading", what about the confusion? "...mind most of you blow your cover ..."?
                    What the heck is that supposed to mean?

You are approaching the dubious honor of being the second person of being put on my "ignore" list. The first one was rather obnoxious and made verbal attacks on me and several others on the board. I have not seen any verbal attacks from you yet, but the abundance of confusion emanating from your keyboard is stretching my ability to cope with it.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I don't know what you look like, so I don't know.
                      On the other hand, I have not had anybody verbalizing the ideas I have seen in your posts, so I will assume that you have not been here.

Actually, you need to go back and see what you wrote:

So, ... is it a spaceship or not?

Forget the "misleading", what about the confusion? "...mind most of you blow your cover ..."?
                      What the heck is that supposed to mean?

You are approaching the dubious honor of being the second person of being put on my "ignore" list. The first one was rather obnoxious and made verbal attacks on me and several others on the board. I have not seen any verbal attacks from you yet, but the abundance of confusion emanating from your keyboard is stretching my ability to cope with it.

Ego is a terrible thing.
                      Remember, I have NEVER directly insulted you, you have - me.

Comment

manometer came in the mail today, so I'll be vacuum synching my carbs tomorrow. we'll see how close I got 'em with the bench sync.... then I'll tweak the idle mixture with the advice I got from you guys. I don't feel misled at all... I got some solid answers to a simple question.... and to settle the dispute- it is. in fact. a spaceship.....

Comment

and to settle the dispute- it is. in fact. a spaceship.....
                          Thanks.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks.

blah blah blah

Comment

quick update: I vacuum synched the carbs today and set the idle mixture... that was the final step (for now) of a lot of long overdue TLC Thanks for the advice, guys. The bike's running great and I'm looking forward to a nice long ride tomorrow

I was pretty close with my bench sync...

and after the vacuum sync....

Comment

Working...
                              X