gas tank explosion.............dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
    Have you ever tried to put out a fire on the ceiling with a bucket of water?

Fill it with water, problem solved.
    I have put out LOTS of fires , just not with a bucket of water.

One more thought, water is NOT a compressable liquid.

This is why I have job security.

Comment

I am pretty sure my garage is too leaky to fill it with water and I think it would take too long also. OK enough smart azz answer. I am no expert and too lazy to search but I think at least part of the issue I have had in the past is that the gas is actually somewhat imbedded in the pores of the metal (and varnish build up) It is not such a big issue drilling a hole but when heating the metal no matter how thorough, a water based wash is not sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by shockvalue View Post
        Got a question guys and gals......How does one go about drillin a hole in the side of a gas tank . Will it spark an explosion or shoot a flame....... Nothing at all if I go slow........Or will it explode so violently my cheeks slam shut and make it sound like thunder acroos the country...... Im having to relocate my petcock ( oldschool reasoning) and Im gonna drill a 7/16 hole then tap it and then put a ball valve for the petcock...... Oh yeh Im using a sportster tank thats part of the relocation.....................I have heard to just fill it up with water and drill your hole under water and your fine and others say its not gonna spark at all..............Can someone confirm proper drillin for me lol...
        Do as Suzuki_Don said.

If you are really worried, why did you buy a bike with the HIGH TENSION COILS right under the tank?

I have seen a tank explode on someone, lost both legs (including hips).

You should be using Nitrogen but in the end, it's all about removing the oxygen.

Take it to your nearby stream and submerge it, part to be drilled 1/2" from water surface with a longer drill will also work.
        The water will act as a cooling solution and also expel the O2.

Steaming tank for quite a while is also normal procedure...
        Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2010, 11:50 AM.

Comment

gas tank repair

You guys have some great thoughts.....I think Im gonna just buy the harley petcock and try and figure out how to mount the dam thng on top of the gs twin framing that goes down the back bone.........I just want the gas tank mounted frsico style but seems to be a pain in da ass ..........Any one want to trade a harley sportster tank for a smaller tank that will mount onto the gs 1000............I have the gorilla tank already but its not working with the oldschool theme being its like a 12 gaLLON TANK...tHANKS

Comment

Working...
          X