Removing Silencers off of a '80 850GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    I don't know, teddux, hence the question.
    The temps you have to consider are these: The temps of the metal valve itself, versus the temps of the incoming air (from an open exhaust). It is the temp differential that causes the warping of the valves.
    The truth is YES, I myself DON'T recommend it.
    But I would've thought that that was understandable???
    I don't run my bike at 999999999rpm with the exhaust system removed, duh!

You CAN SAFELY (engine-wise) run with the HEADERS and NO Muffler.
    For the rest of "gurus", BECAUSE IT ALSO DISSIPATES the HEAT FROM THE HEAD.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2010, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by teddux View Post
      Can you compare an air cooled engine with a water-cooled?
      Well, the temps. of the valve in an air-cooled engine would ALREADY be burned by the standards of a water-cooled engine.
      Bullsh:t .

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Bullsh:t .
        Do you know ANYTHING about valves?
        Google SODIUM FILLED VALVES, noobtard.

Comment

Noobtard, that's a good one.

Perhaps you should enlighten us about our sodium filled valves on our GS engines, pen:s wrinkle.

And maybe you could explain how a water cooled engine's valves are made to burn up at the temperatures commonly found in air cooled engines?

Did they use steel with a lower melting point or something?

Or perhaps you should spend a few minutes reading about how valves are cooled in an engine. By water cooling? Air cooling? By Magic?

You could try reading about what burns up valves, things like late ignition timing, tight valve clearances, lean mixtures. You know, technical stuff.

Or just keep giving out intelligent compliments like noobtard.
          Last edited by tkent02; 04-02-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Noobtard, that's a good one.

Perhaps you should enlighten us about our sodium filled valves on our GS engines, pen:s wrinkle.

And maybe you could explain how a water cooled engine's valves are made to burn up at the temperatures commonly found in air cooled engines?

Did they use steel with a lower melting point or something?

Or perhaps you should spend a few minutes reading about how valves are cooled in an engine. By water cooling? Air cooling? By Magic?

You could try reading about what burns up valves, things like late ignition timing, tight valve clearances, lean mixtures. You know, technical stuff.

Or just keep giving out intelligent compliments like noobtard.
            Google will be your friend, "i fly rich people"

Comment

Originally posted by teddux View Post
              Google will be your friend, "i fly rich people"
              Google's OK.

What should I google, "How to put rude people on my ignore list?"
              Last edited by tkent02; 04-02-2010, 11:33 PM.

Comment

just want to bump this subject to get a final answer to the original question. im also inquiring about this modification without having to modify carbs/exhaust headers. I will replace mufflers with some stock HD throwaways though if i dont have to rejet.
                850l

kev

Comment

If you are using the stock headpipes and merely replacing the mufflers with Harley mufflers, you might not have to re-jet.

Can't say for sure, but at least any changes should be rather minimal.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

as far as burned valves, air or water cooled alike, as long as you have enough pipe to keep cold air from reaching the valve face when the engine is first shut down you won't have a problem. Btw, not sure oon bikes, but if I'm not mistaken auto companies quit using sodium filled valves in the 60's or early seventy's. Once they realized the volatility of sodium.

Comment

Working...
                    X