OK, OK, OK... I give!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
    You probably know this, but pull out the choke fully, dot NOT twist the throttle at all until it is running well. If you are goosing the throttle while starting it tends to do exactly what you are getting.
    Nope, I didn't know that... Probably have it flooded now so will give that a try tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by car99r View Post
      Nope, I didn't know that... Probably have it flooded now so will give that a try tomorrow.
      Actually, you probably don't have it flooded if you were twisting the throttle while trying to start it. If it's getting fuel through the choke circuit and you try to start it now without using the throttle it should start. Unlike auto carburetors, side draft carbs of any sort do not flood with repeated throttle input. They require the vacuum produced by the engine to draw fuel through the jets into the combustion chambers. If you ever get your hands on an old MG or other European car you'll find the same style of carbs installed there, but they'll be either SU or Stromberg.

Comment

You might try removing the airbox, securing it to the removed carbs off the bike, then install both together onto the bike.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I've read t that people have had luck heating up the boots with a heat gun or hair dryer until they are nice and soft and then the carbs should slip right in. Just make sure not to heat them up too much, or risk melting them.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
            You might try removing the airbox, securing it to the removed carbs off the bike, then install both together onto the bike.
            Sound slike agood plan but it appears this airbox is all one piece and not sure I could get it back in that way. Also not looking forward to removing all the electrical either but if the below doesn't work and I keep my patience in check and don't burn the fugger to the ground I will give it a shot...lol

Originally posted by Theo View Post
            I've read t that people have had luck heating up the boots with a heat gun or hair dryer until they are nice and soft and then the carbs should slip right in. Just make sure not to heat them up too much, or risk melting them.
            Planned to try that tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
              Unlike auto carburetors, side draft carbs of any sort do not flood with repeated throttle input. They require the vacuum produced by the engine to draw fuel through the jets into the combustion chambers.
              Well, automotive carburetors "require the vacuum produced by the engine to draw fuel through the hets into the combustion chambers", too.
              The difference is not in the side-draft vs down-draft carbs, it's in the accelerator pump.

Some bikes have side-draft carbs with accelerator pumps, you can definitely flood them with repeated twisting of the grip.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have an '80 550L and this sounds like an intake manifold leaking o-ring problem. You can search for that or ask, but it might be a major air leak. Have you checked or replaced your intake manifold o-ring gaskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve314159 View Post
                  I have an '80 550L and this sounds like an intake manifold leaking o-ring problem. You can search for that or ask, but it might be a major air leak. Have you checked or replaced your intake manifold o-ring gaskets?

uuummm.... no...

Intake Manifold O-ring gaskets... Guess I need to do some more reading

Comment

Found it!

WOW, I hate to invest more money in this thing...lol

Just bought it to make a few bucks. Have enough projects to keep me busy for years.

Comment

I made sure to clean the choke passages real good.

Got new plugs and getting good spark.

Well, airbox is installed but the airbox boots ar enot on all the way. Fought them for over an hour with lube and all and can't seem to get them back on. Figured I would get something even if it ran rough.

Yes, all of the pipes are getting hot. I figured she would run rough because I need new filter and air box not sealed up well. I have never ran into a bike that at least would not run when giving throttle. Although it would normally run rough but at least start.

I used spray cleaner and air. Same thing I have done about a thousand times on other bikes? Am I missing something as why dip only and not spray?
                      disassemble the carbs and dip them in carburetor cleaner. Spray cleaner won't clear carb passages very well. Clean ur carbs well, and it'll run

Comment

Anyone have a good source for intake boots? I know where to go for the O-rings thanks to BassCliff's website. Maybe buy new airbox boots too depending on prices.

Gonna pick up some carb dip tomorrow and pull the carbs again. While I have them out I will check boots and all real good.

Comment

Any secrets or tips on getting air box boots onto the carbs with them in place?
                          I rubbed a very thin smear of axle bearing grease around the inside edge of the boots. The carbs just slipped right in once it was lined up.

Comment

Well, I went out this morning and sprayed some ether around the boots and she fired right up for a moment. Obvious the boots and o-rings are shot. I can see cracks up against the mounts on the intake boots.

So, where is a good source for new boots?

Anyone interested in buying a nice looking GS550L project?...

Comment

So, where is a good source for new boots?
                              Hi,

There's a large list of our favorite vendors in your "mega-welcome". Shop around a little for the best price and best shipping. If you can't find your "mega-welcome", just click the link to my website (in my sig) and go to the REAE ME page.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Bass and I did look around but no luck on the boots themselves.

No matter though.

I want to thank every single one of you for the much needed help. Guy stopped in today and made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I sold the bike as-is. I told him about this place and wrote it down for him so maybe he will stop in. Seems to really like the GS's.

You all are welcome over to my place anytime!

Again thank you and keep the rubber on the pavement!

Comment

Working...
                                X