Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big T View Post
    Joe,

While you're in there, add a ground from the R/R directly to the negative post of the battery

It's been know to boost the charging rate and it only takes a few minutes

///////////////////////////
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Fuel filter

I don't think anyone's mentioned a fuel filter? If there is one, ditch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
        Wouldn't this show that it isn't a blocked vent? The cap was OFF!
        If you're referring to my post, then yes, your test would show the tank venting isn't the problem. But I was posting to Eddie's problem.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Sorry I haven't been on here for a few days. I've been busy with work and other junk :-) So, yeah. I have absolutely no fuel flowing from my tank. I decided to throw caution to the wind this morning and just pulled the fuel to see if it spewed everywhere or not. I put the petcock into the prime position and back to the on position several times and nothing even dripped out. I even banged on it with a small hammer just to make myself feel better. That didn't work either, but I did feel better for a second. Now then...does anyone know of a good place to get a new petcock? I would really like to put a manual one so that I don't have to worry about getting enough vacuum again. Stupid '80 GS550L petcocks.....grumble grumble grumble. Idiotic design idea.

Thanks again for all the help! Once I get fuel flow, I'll see what I can do about the electrical problem...more to follow.

Comment

Hi,

A lot of folks opt for a Pingel from Z1 or other suppliers (there's a huge list of vendors in your "mega-welcome"). With a manual petcock, do not forget to turn it off or you will have problems like gas on the floor or, even worse, gas in your oil.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the help again. I emailed Pingel and Z1 to see if they have anything that can be bolted on that has a manual setup. If not, I guess I'll just throw a new vacuum one on there. I'll keep you guys updated...

Thanks again!
              Eddie

Comment

there is a filter on the top of the petcock up in the tank, it's only 2 bolts..........
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                  there is a filter on the top of the petcock up in the tank, it's only 2 bolts..........
                  Drain the tank and pull the petcock. See what's on the intake screen and in the gas tank
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I pulled the petcock yesterday to see if the screen was blocked or anything. It was clean as a whistle, but nothing would pass through without me pushing to valve down. I moved the lever to the Prime position and it didn't help the flow at all. I'm just going to replace it this week and go from there. It's a bit frustrating, but I've sure learned a lot about my bike this week!

Comment

Hi,

See #7 (list 1) and #13 (list 2) in your "mega-welcome" . Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

New petcock on order. Hopefully that works and I can get to my charging system problem...I sure would like to ride this thing instead of push it around the block!

Thanks for all the help!
                        Eddie

Comment

Funny story to add into the "don't ever do this" section. I'm a long time auto mechanic...mostly on old British cars, but I've never done anything with a bike before. Sooooo, I pulled the gas tank, flipped it over and laid it onto my tool pouch for some stability. I didn't even consider that fuel would leak from the gas cap. Yeah, I got a tool bag with a great gas smell now

Comment

Originally posted by joeninpo View Post
                            Sorry I haven't been on here for a few days. I've been busy with work and other junk :-) So, yeah. I have absolutely no fuel flowing from my tank. I decided to throw caution to the wind this morning and just pulled the fuel to see if it spewed everywhere or not. I put the petcock into the prime position and back to the on position several times and nothing even dripped out. I even banged on it with a small hammer just to make myself feel better. That didn't work either, but I did feel better for a second. Now then...does anyone know of a good place to get a new petcock? I would really like to put a manual one so that I don't have to worry about getting enough vacuum again. Stupid '80 GS550L petcocks.....grumble grumble grumble. Idiotic design idea.
                            Just so you know, according to the factory manual the '80 petcock requires engine cranking to initiate fuel flow even if in the prime position. This info is in the 1980 GS1000 factory manual and I would assume your petcock is either identical or still operates on the same principle. I didn't bother to read the petcock info to see why the '80 petcock won't flow when in prime position (as many others do) but it doesn't operate the same. So re-test before you toss a possibly good part, unless you want to change it anyway.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Runs then won't start.

My 82 gs1100e did the same. It turns out I had the tank vent tube in the wrong location. It was pinched between the bottom of the tank and frame. I don't know if you model has the same set up.

Wayno

Comment

I've already exchanged this info via PM but here goes for everyone else. My issue that sounds so much like yours isn't a fuel issue!

I rebuilt my petcock, replaced the petcock, cleaned my tank vent, took the fuel cap off, hooked a fuel supply up to isolate the petcock/tank all together, etc......

I took the carbs off and cleaned them twice and checked my floats too.......

Here I am with mine:

It HAS to be electrical with mine and spark. It will still turn over but isn't firing until it cools off. I'm ready to test for spark but I'm going to replace the plugs first as I start with plenty of spark and it runs well.

Here's some more info on what mine does when it dies:

1) It just dies like I hit the kill switch.
                                2) I can hear the starter clutch cycle right when it dies.
                                3) Everything else electrical still works when it dies, ie: horn/headlight/turn signals/etc

I've started my own thread over in the Electrical/Ignition Tech Forum.

joeninpo, I'm sorry for posting so much of my own stuff here I hope that what I've done so far will encourage you to either NOT waste your money on some of the things I wasted mine on OR for you to have some direction on what I did so far with little or no information from some of the others that can only come up with, "replace this" or "replace that"..........

I'll keep you informed back-N-forth via PMs on what I find......

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X