No announcement yet.

What next? Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok this might be a long shot, but maybe you can get/make some kind of two prong tool to fit in the slits that run up and down the tap, and then unscrew it. Just throwing it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
      Ok this might be a long shot, but maybe you can get/make some kind of two prong tool to fit in the slits that run up and down the tap, and then unscrew it. Just throwing it out there.
      Not a long shot at all. Im open for anything. Something similar to snap ring pliers come to mind. But the problem is if ya stick something in there it may ruin the threads making the tap even more difficult to unscrew.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
        Not a long shot at all. Im open for anything. Something similar to snap ring pliers come to mind. But the problem is if ya stick something in there it may ruin the threads making the tap even more difficult to unscrew.
        Rock and a hard place... HELP!!!!!

Comment

It's hard to tell from the picture, but you said it broke half way in? How about just cutting the bolt down and using what threads you have? The other side of the pipe will give it some strength. Add some thread lock to what you have. Just a thought. I think it only torques to 11ft/lbs IIRC, so its not extreme as it is.

Comment

Clean the threads as best as you can with a pick. Modify some needle nose pliers to fit in the slots around the tap.
            Heat up the head to expand it a bit, and work it in and out until it can come out.

Comment

They make tap extractors just for this.

McMaster-Carr or MSC industrial supply will have them. Both have websites you can purchase from.

Use actual cutting oil or tap-magic, not wd-40 or motor oil etc,..... real cutting oil......, when you try to back it out. There WILL be small chips of tap embedded into the aluminium. Wiggle left, right, back to left, back to right.......... untill you're out.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                They make tap extractors just for this.

McMaster-Carr or MSC industrial supply will have them. Both have websites you can purchase from.

Use actual cutting oil or tap-magic, not wd-40 or motor oil etc,..... real cutting oil......, when you try to back it out. There WILL be small chips of tap embedded into the aluminium. Wiggle left, right, back to left, back to right.......... untill you're out.
                Sweet. So my idea wasn't such a long shot after all.

Comment

Ive tried these POS before and snapped off the little fingers, not once, but every friggin time...

Good luck, and make sure the kids arent around when ya use said wonder tool..

Comment

Originally posted by Henryinva View Post
                    Ive tried these POS before and snapped off the little fingers, not once, but every friggin time...

Good luck, and make sure the kids arent around when ya use said wonder tool..
                    So what's the alternative?
                    Machine shop?
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Taps are very strong BUT very very brittle...use a center punch to "break" the tap..being as brittle as they are if you use a center punch and hit it hard in the center..it should break apart and you can use a pick to pull the pieces out...Ive done this a few times when Ive broken a tap and it works great.

DDM

Comment

I broke a tap off once in my old BSA. I got it out by puting the pointy ends of my needle nose pliers into the indents of the tap and then twisting it out with a crescent wrench on the pliers.

It worked

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                          Looking for one with a electrical discharge machine.
                          Plus I dont have a press.
                          That's what I'd be doing. A lot of shops maintain contact with shops that have the appropriate machine for just such an occasion. Some shops do have what I've heard called a "hole popper" which is a very simple drill press version of a ram EDM. This is for broken tap removal, wire EDM starter holes, that sort of thing.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yup.. E lux...

Cylinder head, exhaust port... Busted off a tap... then busted off an easy out that WAS gonna remove the tap.... SH T..! Then HAD to have an expert do da job...100 bucks..OUCH!! Machine shop (good one) should have one.. or be able to tell ya where. think it was called "E-Lux" machine.when I retrieved said head I was told "it smoked and smelled a LOT" when they removed the "bits" must have been "fixed" by the PO with some kinda "crap/stuff/JB Weld or somethin'... WTF gotta fix er...LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT DARE...!

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
                              needle nose pliers into the indents of the tap and then twisting it out with a crescent wrench on the pliers.

It worked

Brian

Tried it, no go..

Keven, I'd rather buy another head than go through all the BS dealing with a machine shop.
                              "yeah, we might be able to get it out" Heard that one already..
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
                                Taps are very strong BUT very very brittle...use a center punch to "break" the tap..being as brittle as they are if you use a center punch and hit it hard in the center..it should break apart and you can use a pick to pull the pieces out...Ive done this a few times when Ive broken a tap and it works great.

DDM
                                BINGO!
                                It worked for the most part. Still a bit in there but there is enough thread to hold.
                                Had to knock the crap out of it and did a job on the threads on the outer part but the bolt seems to be working.
                                I'll use studs with bolts when I get ready to bolt the exhaust on.
                                I had almost given up and was shopping heads on ebay but figured if I was gonna trash this head anyway I might as well give it a shot.
                                sigpic

82 GS850
                                78 GS1000
                                04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                                X