Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs with carbs apart by PO

Hi everyone. New Guy...
    I just got this 79 gs850 from a friend who couldn't get it running. I've cleaned the carbs and it will ruin but it is ver boggy throughout the range. I highly suspect its in one or both of the screw settings. I'm simply not sure where to put them as an initial. The OEM specs are like this

GS850 (77-79) the specs are for the VM's

idle r/min........... 950-1150
    carb................... mik vm26ss
    id no................... 45060
    bore size ............ 26 (1.0)
    float height ......... 23-25. (0.91" - 0.98")
    fuel level ............ 3.0 - 5.0 (0.12" +/-0.20")
    pilot air screw ..... 1.25 turns out
    pilot screw........... 5/8 turns out
    pilot air jet........... 1.2
    pilot jet............... #15
    cut away............. 1.5
    jet needle........... 5DL36-2 (the -2 2nd notch)
    needle jet .......... 0 - 6
    pilot outlet........... 0.6
    by pass ............. 0.8
    main jet............. #102.5

It suggests the pilot air ( on the side right) at 1.25 turns, but the pilot ( on the bottom at what?.....5/8ths of a turn or 5 to 8 turns?

Any help would be appreciated as this is a nice bike and needs a good ride.

mike

Yes, it's saying the fuel screw on the bottom should be 5/8ths of a full turn from lightly bottomed. (Just a touch past 1/2 turn.) And with the air screw, 1 1/4 turns out from lightly bottomed.

btw.....Welcome! And make sure to check out the VM carb rebuild guide. It has helped me quite a bit!

Comment

Thanks so much...
      I really did think 5 turns was way too much but 2 of them were just that when I got it...;-) Now to get at the screws with the carbs in place. Good time for my flexible screwdriver methinks.

Mike

Comment

Okay, but

If you didn't take the fuel screws out, you didn't clean the carbs

Also, you need to remove the fuel screws, see if any of the tips are broken off and put a new O ring and the screw

Along with new O rings in the rest of the carbs
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

air screws turn out 2 1/2 turns and fuel screws are 5/8th of a turn out. This will get you pretty close. That is if everything is stock and airbox is closed up fairly tight.

Once you set the fuel screws them leave alone and fine tune the air screws. Too much of a pain to tune the fuel screws.

Big T is on to something. As most everyone here will say, you should disassembly all the carbs dip each one with Berryman's if you can get it in your state/country and reassemble with all new o-rings and probably intake boots if they have not been done yet.

There is a great tutorial on Basscliff's website. He'll be around shortly with his welcome page of very useful information.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Targis34,

You'll find lots of handy stuff on my website. If it's not there, the helpful, friendly folks here will certainly lend a hand. I'm glad you found us.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the help and thanks for that great welcome Bascliff.

I have now reset the carbs to 5/8 on the fuel but only 1.25 on the air. Will try 2.5 tomorrow. It is still very boggy from idle on up with very little response to the throttle. Thanks for not making me mess with those fuel screws any more....They are extremely hard to work on...wouldn't want to do it more than once..

I did clean the carbs but I didn't soak them. If I dont gewt success tomorrow I will redo them again. I checked the intake boots and they all look good. No cracks and seal seems good. I know the state of the boots can look good but \i need that idle to be relatively steady before I can check them with spray.
              Will let you know..

Mike (Mr Targis)

Comment

Dip dip dip dip! I'm in the process of doing mine right now, and it's much simpler than I thought it could possibly be. The o-ring kit will run you a whopping 15 bucks, shipped, from Cycle O-rings.com, and you'll be SURE that everything's correct. It's time consuming, because you really should leave each carb in the dip for 24 hours, but I think it's going to be worth it. Check out the carb cleaning articles on the main page.

Comment

Working...
                X