Carb ajustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb ajustment?

Hey all. Ive just replaced the stock mufflers with some Stock HD pipes. It has a very noticable change in sound (which I love) but comes with a vast difference in carb tuning of course. When I twist the throttle, it chugs and stalls. When I use the choke to "rev" the engine, it gets better with choke. So obviously it's getting to much air now. I have attempted to adjust the mixture screws to no real improvemnt. Is there a way I can tinker with these screws, or which Carb jets will I need to replace with which types? Headers are stock and so is airbox.

Thanks all,

Kev

Hi,

You'll probably need to richen up your fuel/air mixture. Add more fuel to the mix by installing bigger jets. To determine the proper size jets you'll probably have to perform "plug chops" and check the color of your spark plugs at different throttle settings. See the carb tuning guides on my website for more information.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Does anyoneone have any specific recommendations if they have done anything like this befor?

Kev

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the Dynojet Stage III kit? Will this help with my problem?

Kev

Comment

I'd jump the main jet up to 125.
          Up the Pilot jet one. EX 42.5 to a 45
          Shim the needle with Radio Shack washers. Take out the jet needle and remove the spacer over the clip and replace with less heigth of washers. I'd start with two washers.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X