leaking airbox boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking airbox boots

I'm having trouble visualizing why this would be a bad thing. Can somebody explain why air leaking in through the airbox boots would affect the way the bike runs? I'm sure it would cause a lean condition, but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around why. Thanks!
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

It would be like not having the boots on at all. Arew you clamps good and are your boots nice and pliable. I had the same problem and replaced the boots. Problem solved.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Hi,

The stock jetting in the carbs works best with a pre-determined amount of air drawn into the system. If your air intake system has leaks it will draw in more air than the design specifies. Thus causing more air in the fuel/air mixture, a lean condition (less fuel to air ratio).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just experienced this with my sons' 850. Ran much better after I figured out the airfilter was not in the bracket on the inside of the box on the right side, and was hanging down on that side. Put some weatherstripping foam on the top of the filter and slide it back in right,screwed it down and the bike ran much better, and doesn't backfire as much when releasing the throttle. terrylee

Comment

Thanks. I'm not having this problem, but I do have new airbox boots on order because I don't trust these old ones. Reason I asked is because a neighbor was over and I was trying to explain to him why, but couldn't make him understand. His challenging me caused me to doubt my own understanding. Thanks for clearing things up for me.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
          X