dry float bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dry float bowls

1979 gs 1000 I cleanded the carbs but I never numbered them now they run out of gas.(dry bowls)Is this a petcock problem or by mixing up the carbs am I not getting the correct carb to get the vacume off the petcock.My petcock only has res and on no prime.I removed the bowls and primed the bowls by hand and the bike started and ran but then died and the bowls are dry....any help would be great ...thanks
    P.S. the vacume line was on #3 carb
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2010, 06:52 PM. Reason: forgot something

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. trikechop,

The petcock you describe sounds like the 1980 version. Do you have VM carbs or CV carbs? It does make a difference how they are reassembled. Here are a few pictures of the CV carbs (I don't have VM carbs on my bike):

Does the above look like your carbs? Is this your petcock below?

Did you follow the Carb Rebuild Series found on the GS Resources website? There's a link on the homepage and in your "mega-welcome".

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The VMs that you should have can only mix up #2 and #3. If you have the vacuum off #3 and your float drain screws face outward, you reassembled them correctly.

What you describe is a petcock problem. Your should have a handle and 3 positions if it's a 79.

Have you pulled the petcock from the tank and made sure the intake screens are not plugged?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        The VMs that you should have can only mix up #2 and #3. If you have the vacuum off #3 and your float drain screws face outward, you reassembled them correctly.

What you describe is a petcock problem. Your should have a handle and 3 positions if it's a 79.

Have you pulled the petcock from the tank and made sure the intake screens are not plugged?
        Agreed. Test the petcock to ensure proper fuel flow.

Comment

If it ran until the bowls emptied it is a fuel flow problem.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks for the welcome....I have the vm carbs...the float screws are facing outward....the petcock was taken and cleaned but should I try to apply vacume to the correct hose to see if I can get fuel to flow?

Comment

Originally posted by trikechop View Post
              thanks for the welcome....I have the vm carbs...the float screws are facing outward....the petcock was taken and cleaned but should I try to apply vacume to the correct hose to see if I can get fuel to flow?
              YES. That would be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
              X