Add a fuel guage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a fuel guage?

I have a 1980 GS550E and I saw a fuel gauge replacement part for a GS550L of the same year on ebay. Would that part work on my bike? Or are there any other fuel gauges you can add?

mine is worthless, you will need a different tank, that has a fuel sending unit. I just use the trip meter.

Comment

Honestly most bike gauges that I have seen have been less than reliable. Not worth modifying your bike for. I have seen some that are built into the cap, but that was only for Harleys that I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by madbikebreaker View Post
        Honestly most bike gauges that I have seen have been less than reliable. ...
        On the other hand, ALL of the gauges on ALL of the bikes in my garage work flawlessly.
        That would include all the ones in my sig, plus the one on "Freebie" (another '81 850), which was recently sold, and an '82 650L that is on the back porch.

To add a fuel gauge, you would have to get another tank that has a sending unit, as I don't think it would be very easy to add one to your current tank, and you would have to get a new set of gauges and, of course, do some wiring.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X