1980 gs1000gl jetting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1000gl jetting help

Ok so the carbs were re-jetting before for pods but im going back stock when I get the extra money to buy the airbox and everything. Im just trying to get info right now on how to go about re-jetting the carbs back to stock. Should I go with a rebuild kit that comes with jets or is there somewhere I can buy the stock size jets? If so... what are the stock sizes as I cant seem to find that info anywhere.

Just looking for some hints/tips/info here

Thanks guys and on a side note the bike is back together and will fire up and idle. All electrical is installed and functional now too, just finished the signals today.
    ---Eric

The specs would certainly be in the factory service manual. Look here for a manual

There is one there for your bike.

I assume you have Mikuni BS34's on the bike?

I would think that main jets 107.5 or 110 would be close to stock. Pilot jets #45. Doubt the PO would have changed any other carb parts if adding pods and a pipe.

Did you look to see what's currently installed in the carbs?

Main jets and pilots should be available from z1 or dennis kirk. Don't waste your money on rebuild kits. Get an o-ring kit from Robert Barr and the necessary stock jets.

Comment

The pilots on my GS1000 are #40 and mains are 110. #45 pilots may be a little rich, but may be ok.

Comment

Hi,

On my website ( Carb Specs:Float Height/Jetting/Cleaning ) I've got a copy of the information collected and compiled by Mr. johnnay from the carb spec thread you see at the top of this section. I'll save you the trouble of looking it up yourself.

For the stock 1980 GS1000GL (BS34SS carbs):

MainJet: 110
        Main Airjet (mm): 1.7
        Jet Needle: 5D57-3
        Needle Jet: X-8
        Pilot Jet: 40
        Float Height: 22.4mm (+/- 1mm)

It is recommended that you stay away from the carb rebuild kits because they have inferior parts. Order good parts from a vendor in your "mega-welcome".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I havent opened the carbs up to see, how can I tell what size is in there will they have it stamped on the jet or something? I have never done any carb work before so this is all new to me.

So it is probable that the po just changed the main and pilot jets and I wont need to change anything else? I really dont know what is involved with re-jetting to accommodate pods like that.
          ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
            Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I havent opened the carbs up to see, how can I tell what size is in there will they have it stamped on the jet or something? I have never done any carb work before so this is all new to me.

So it is probable that the po just changed the main and pilot jets and I wont need to change anything else? I really dont know what is involved with re-jetting to accommodate pods like that.

Its easy dude.. Follow these directions and you'll be all set!
            Yes the jets are labled. Very little and prolly dirty so ya may need your glasses.

sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

cool, Ill go out and get the carbs right now. Im bringing them inside though, it way to hot in the garage
              ---Eric

Comment

looks like the main jets are 160's Are the pilots marked on the side? I see some numbers that look like they say 40 but I need to find a magnifying glass. Will it make a difference is the black plug that covers the pilot jet is missing? two carbs have them and two dont.

***update***
                The pilot jets say 40 on them so they havent been changed apparently, just the mains. Probobly why he said he never could get the jetting right for the pods, correct?

So I guess I just need the main jets and o-rings and ill be set
                Last edited by Sparky; 05-13-2010, 07:00 PM.
                ---Eric

Comment

Yeah, ya need those plugs. Sounds like those are DJ mains.
                  If all the PO did was change the mains and nothing else then the bike prolly wont run right. If Im not mistaken the needles need changed or at least shimmed and the slides need drilled.
                  How does the bike run?
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

not that great with no airbox but i did the folded shop towle trick to make sure it ran and it will run but the rpms are a little high, other than that it seems to run decent but I havent run it very much at all until I can get the airbox purchased.

How can I check those other things to see if they have been done. Sorry to ask so many questions but as I said I have never messed with carbs before so Im still learning what I can.
                    ---Eric

Comment

not that great with no airbox but i did the folded shop towle trick to make sure it ran and it will run but the rpms are a little high, other than that it seems to run decent but I havent run it very much at all until I can get the airbox purchased.

How can I check those other things to see if they have been done. Sorry to ask so many questions but as I said I have never messed with carbs before so Im still learning what I can.
                      What other things?
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

you said

the needles need changed or at least shimmed and the slides need drilled
                        Im not really sure what you meant. BUT the p.o. said all he did was change the mains so I should be good once I get those in.
                        ---Eric

Comment

The G/L supplement is near the back of this PDF. Worth the download!

Comment

you said

Im not really sure what you meant. BUT the p.o. said all he did was change the mains so I should be good once I get those in.
                            That and an airbox and you should be all set.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                            X