1985 GS550L Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550L Carbs

I am new to the site as well as Suzuki. From what I have read so far, everyone is very knowledgeable and helpful. Hopefully you can share some of your knowledge with me.
    I have just purchased a 1985 GS550L. It is a work in progress to say the least. My main problem is that it did not come with Carburetors.
    From doing some searching I have found that it should have Mikuni BSW30SS CV carbs, (2-2 barrel carbs). My question is, since I cannot find these, what carbs would work on this bike (if any) and what mods would I need to do to make them work.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. slider,

The ebay is your friend. Sometimes you have to be patient. There are a few bike salvagers in your "mega-welcome" that might be able to help. I don't know of any regular 4-bank of carbs that would work, but I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If the intake boots are equally spaced apart I wonder if a set of BS32SS carbs off a 550/650 would work?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Slider, if you want I can give you a haynes manual for the cost of shipping. Should be under $5. I got it from a member here with some spare parts for the GS550ES. He just told me to put it to good use. Seems like you could use it. Just shoot me a pm here if you want it.

The carbs are all over ebay too, or were. All my spares have jet kits in them so running them with a stock exhaust and airbox wouldnt work at all for you. Then add in the problem that they have idle jet restrictors in also.

Comment

Slider,

I have a set from an 83 550e that I believe are the exact same. If you are interested shoot me a PM. They've been ultrasonic cleaned, ALL new rubber, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            If the intake boots are equally spaced apart I wonder if a set of BS32SS carbs off a 550/650 would work?

boots are spaced oddly
            Boots are also held on by only three screws odd arrangment but it allows for a very hefty bit of frame between the carbs.

these come up once in a while on ebay and the sellers either seem to give them away or think they are lined with gold.

Comment

Those things are crazy looking!
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Those things are crazy looking!
                How so chef?

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
                  How so chef?
                  Never seen anything like them.

Comment

I work with those things all the time on this bike. They're just a dual carb setup thats siamesed and shares a diaphram, choke, and bowl area.

Comment

Working...
                    X