running bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running bad?

ok so i went for a ride yesterday and 1,2,3 and 4th gear quick on to the freeway after i get into 5th it starts sputtering and missing and has no acceleration. can drop back into 4th and give it gas after a second it kinda clears out and off i go untill i hit 5th then back to the same issue. when i get to the canyon the way up it runs great no problems what so ever even in 5th gear at a lower rpm it still pulls hard. then we turn and come back down and it sputters the entire way down no matter what i do. then it continues to do it the rest of the way home. also it does not like the cold morning to work it was 54 this morning and was horrible. i am going to stop and get new plugs but not sure what else might be doing this any help would be aprecated. i should say this is on my 82 gs1100ez bob/chop i just finished thanks.

Hi,

Shim the needle? Check the float height? Get a new petcock? Sometimes it's a process of elimination. Have a look at this:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sounds like it is running lean (major shock) and the fact that it seems to be getting worse leads me to believe it is an issue with fuel flow. How does the inside of the tank look? Any crud? Do you have an additional fuel filter on the bike? When was the last good tune up ie. check the valves ,tight valves lead to hard cold starts. Tested the petcock in the prime position with the fuel line removed from the carb tee? Air leaks at the carb boots, or intake runners?

Have you modded the air box and stock filter? Stock exhaust?

Comment

You chopped an EZ?

Did you jet for the pods if you're running them?
        Fuel flow from petcock?
        Did you do anything to the carbs?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks for the ideas i will be having much fun checking out these issues. sorry to all those ez fans out there but i did chop mine up i love the stock looks but it just wasn't for me any more.

as for the motor it did have pods on it before i chopped it but i did have to sacrifice the muffler so that is probably where i got the lean issue. thanks again will update on my issue

Comment

ok got bigger jets in it helped on the top end now how do i shim the needle? also i have been checking the exhaust header temp 1 and 2 are about 90 deg hotter than 3 and 4. any ideas on this maybe i am running lean on these two cylinders and that's causing my issue. thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
            X