Well what do you know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well what do you know....

I figured since the city is tearing up the street in front of my house and I can't go to sleep after working third shift, I would try to figure out what's wrong with the idle on the bike.

Pull the plugs , two outside nice and tan, #3 slightly lean but not bad, # 2 black. Hmmmm so I trying adjusting the idle mixture screw no difference all the way in or 3+ turns out.

While I am screwing it around the vac line came off the petcock. I notice the vac line has gas in it . Plug the vac line on both ends, put it on prime and runs much better.

Guess its time for a rebuild/replace it would seem as though the diaphragm is no good.
    Am I on the right track?

Hi,

A fouled #2 plug is very indicative of a failed petcock. Rebuilding a petcock is not a guaranteed fix, but it has worked for some. A new petcock may be a better solution.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

+1 on New Petcock

I too had a problem with a wonky petcock.
      Tried rebuilding it, but no joy. It seems that rebuild kits don't "exactly" match OEM parts. The diaphragm was a bit too loose in the casing, and the valve was a little undersized, so it would just trickle gas down the vent tube every now and then.

I have since then replaced the rebuilt with a new OEM, and haven't had a problem since.

Just my 1.87 cents (exchange rates)

Comment

Same thing on my son's 850, rebuilt it and still didn't work. Got oem new, no more problems. terrylee

Comment

Working...
        X