fuel mixture 2 1/2 turns out to much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel mixture 2 1/2 turns out to much?

I have a gs 1000 79 with 4 to 1 pipe and pods and previous owner did the dyo jet stage 3 kit on them with a cleaning. I've been going over everything and checking the settings. I adjusted the air mixture using the highest idle system and it like about 1 1/4 out. I just located the fuel mixture screws and they were set at 2 1/2 turns out which reading on here seems like alot and should be around 3/4 instead. True or false? Should I set the fuel mixture at 3/4 out then re adjust the air mixture to highest idle then do a plug check? When I look at the plugs now they seem ok (tan not black or white). These both only deal with idle and just off idle right? I also just ordered the intake boot orings and will put those in. I also know I need to sync them (in the process of building a manometer right now) I will be checking the valve clearence this weekend aswell.

Since you have pods and a pipe, the fuel screw (the one on the bottom) should be out about 1 full turn. As a general rule, the air screw goes about double the fuel screw for a starting point.

Good luck building a manometer. Let us know how it works out. There have been many attempts made, most of them have since gotten a production model. Might want to save yourself some time, aggravation and money, just get the production model first. Generally acclaimed to be the best, the Morgan Carbtune is less than $90 right now.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

is it out of the question to post where you live? I see the baja bug so that's why my question may sound crazy. Someone near you may have a morgan carb tune.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Since you have pods and a pipe, the fuel screw (the one on the bottom) should be out about 1 full turn. As a general rule, the air screw goes about double the fuel screw for a starting point.

Could you explain the "fuel screw"? (The one on the bottom). Do you mean the pilot screw?

I am holding BS34SS carb rack in my hands and I see the air mixture screw, the air jet (air box side, lower right of opening), and bowl screw as accessible without opening up the carbs. Is this right?

I am tryin to figure out a low end issue (0-1/8th throttle) and research has lead me to believe that I need to go down in pilot jet size, because I too have all me air mixture screws out past 2 & 1/2 on each carb.

Comment

Originally posted by cowb0y View Post
          Could you explain the "fuel screw"? (The one on the bottom). Do you mean the pilot screw?

I am holding BS34SS carb rack in my hands and I see the air mixture screw, the air jet (air box side, lower right of opening), and bowl screw as accessible without opening up the carbs. Is this right?
          If you're holding a BS34SS carb rack, then you're not talking about the same carbs. The OP has a 79, which means VMs, not CVs.

Comment

Ohhhh, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
            X