Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs 550 mods what to expect

Hi,

I have removed the entire airbox, and choppped the exhaust three inches back from the cross-over tube, behind the footpegs.

I quickly pumped some fuel in the lines, as I have the tank off, and tried to start it.

I turned over fine, but only popped once or twice. Any ideas what to expect with this much free-flow being added?

I am going to tear apart the carbs and replace any corroded bits, but it fired right up before I did the chop. The plugs look good, the floats all had fuel in them and the float valves work fine.

It will never run again.
    Hopefully.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you run it harsh, Jay, it may not run well again. Free flow exhaust= more air= running lean. Torchy valveys very quicky

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        It will never run again.
        Hopefully.

LMAO!! You're just wrong, wrong I say..

harshjay, these bikes dont like no airbox.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
          If you run it harsh, Jay, it may not run well again. Free flow exhaust= more air= running lean. Torchy valveys very quicky
          How can he fry anything if the bike wont start?
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
            How can he fry anything if the bike wont start?
            True. But would it being that lean keep it from starting? And if it's not remedied properly, it wouldn't take long to do damage

Comment

i betcha tha theere sickle is a fasty mo fo with all them thare mod e fi cations done do et.

Comment

If you pour some sand in the crankcase you won't have the lean carburation problem any more.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This is a great forum for fast responses! So the stock airbox is gone, what are my options? individual filter pods? Plus, the stock exhaust is chopped, so what kind of weld on or replacement exhaust options are there? This is a rat rod super cheap project I'm trying to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    i betcha tha theere sickle is a fasty mo fo with all them thare mod e fi cations done do et.
                    Behave

Comment

Originally posted by harshjay View Post
                      This is a great forum for fast responses! So the stock airbox is gone, what are my options? individual filter pods? Plus, the stock exhaust is chopped, so what kind of weld on or replacement exhaust options are there? This is a rat rod super cheap project I'm trying to accomplish.
                      Please tell us it isn't going to end up on Craigslist for ~$3000 and listed as badazz custom bobber

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. harshjay,

What the gang here is trying to tell you is, most of these classic GS bikes run best (and are most reliable) in their stock configurations. If you acquired the bike with no airbox and chopped pipes then you're going to have to make do. Get some decent pod filters (K&N), a good 4-n-1 exhaust, and a Dynojet Stage 3 kit so that you can get your bike running like it should. Otherwise you will enter a "plug chops" and jetting nightmare. There are other necessary tasks to be performed. They are in a couple of lists in your "mega-welcome". Let's get started...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                        X