Wont Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont Idle

I have a 1978 GS550 and I just did a bunch of work to it. Part of this work was removing the carbs and cleaning all the jets. I was having a little bit of difficulty starting it the other day so I replaces the spark plugs and it still wouldnt run. Fortunately, I got it running after a little bit of adjustment with the air screws. But now, I have to adjust the air screws almost every day to get it to run. Also, it wont idle well even if it is warmed up. Any sugestions?

Clean the carbs completely. Dip the bodies, dip the float bowls. everything. Replace the O rings, adjust all the adjustments properly.
    Check for intake leaks. Valve adjustment can make a huge difference if it hasn't been done.
    Last edited by tkent02; 05-20-2010, 12:11 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have the air screws 3 turns out and Im not sure how much to adjust the idle screw.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Monster550,

I'm glad you found us. The following will guide you to GS nirvana if you take no shortcuts. Let's get started...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Monster550 View Post
          I have the air screws 3 turns out and Im not sure how much to adjust the idle screw.
          Where are the pilot fuel screws set?
          And are they still working?
          Usually those pilot circuit passages are the first to clog.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X