Shimming the needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimming the needle

If one can not locate the washers or the local Shack is out of them to replace the nylon washer, couldn't you just sand the washer 1/2 way or is there too much room for error making them all the same? Maybe the washer is too weak and will fall apart?

What is the general consensus on drilling the main jet?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2010, 05:42 PM.

Buy new main jets
    I"ve tried to sand the spacers but couldn't get them perfect and they have to be.
    Go to Radio Shacks website and buy them there or ask the store to order them.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Chef,

Went to the Shack, got the washes, proceeded to do 2 carbs, oh the 3rd the pliers slipped and my C clip washer deal when flying across the garage and disappeared into the abyss, now I see why I should have bought the right tool for $20.00 instead of grinding down a pair of $3.00 needle nose. Can I get a replacement at an auto parts store or do I need to order an OEM replacement or would one of the fine folks here have a spare?

Comment

Shimming complete, Autozone has them in an assortment, was told Napa has bins to choose from. Didn't need it though as I found the orig when I got back from Autozone. On to the coil relay mod.

Comment

Good deal. I was going to send you one. I have a coffee can full.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X