79 with new points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 with new points

OK Folks.....Super thanks........I've put in the Electosport R/R with an 83 Kaw Stator ..... I took it apart and ........my stator LOOKED fried........my wires were on fire ! .....so I bought the electrosport R/R......and would have bought the Stator but after 2 months backorder.....Thanks to you guys My wires are cool ! very cool ! Stator papers gave me all that .........I have the whole Harness exposed now without any overheating of the wires showing up,GREAT GROUNDS, soldered conections,etc....trimmed back plug boots, new plugs, new O rings on intake gaskets, POINTS/Condensors new, 12 volts at coils..........OK here it is....took the carbs off, cleaned the OBVIOUS.....jets are all clear, fuel is flowing good, bowls clean....she will start right up with the choke (inrichner) pulled out........and thats it ! .....will not rev up and will die without the "choke" pulled all the way out.......pipes are getting hot too....BUT the new plugs look blackish ( like rich ) ? I know Im missing something here. I'm 40 yrs and this bike my dad and I bought in SD because it was the same L model he had when I was a kid and rode on......I have took the carbs down but only part way, I feel its still ignition but feel stupid please help ....it wont rev at all and starts up quick but with only the choke on full all the time it will idle all day,but open the throttle and it just "sucks air sound" and will kill the engine...........thanks,Dan

Since this is your 1st post, you may not have read thru your BassCliff pages for the 10 Most Common Problem

For starters, strip and dip your carbs, check the intake boots and adjust you valve clearances

You're just spinning your wheels without doing that work

Not revving up + VM carbs = plugged up carbs
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

gotta strip those carbs

Ok Thanks Big T.....Valves checked, new gasket, stripin and dippin is coming then, but bowls and jets were so clean I dont think thats it, boots are good, orings new. Dan

Comment

You're not tring to run the bike without the airbox are you?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Jet size start?

Yea I am , I dont have it and was gonna use pods, this is 10K mile bike,I know it wont run right without more tuning but it should run,the spark is weak, I just took coils off and am going to check resistance. plugs are black,headers are hot from unburnt fuel I think, shell fire right up quick with enrichner pulled ALL the way out and run like that as long as you dont give it throttle OR try to take off the "choke".......with black foam pods from DK,any idea on Jet size to start with? wheres best place to buy from? Thanks,Dan

Comment

These GS bikes won't run off choke without the airbox. Put it back on or get your pods but install a Dynojet kit as well. You can rejet the carbs on your own without a kit but it's a fair bit of work using plug chops for each range of mixture.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Danrobs79GS,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Get your jets from

Jetting VMs is not that hard
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Glad to be here

Thanks for the warm welcome, coils test bad, gotta get new ones , wires leaking voltage even though they look like they arent cracked ,original 1979......will let ya all know as soon as I get her sorted ......need those pods too and that jet kit

Comment

Running GOOD now !

I Stuck with the original airbox , no pods , new "1987" Honda Coils replaced wires with copper core Accel AND I'm off & running. Bike was rough from neglect but polished up pretty good,I'll be fitting a new seat/rear fender/tailight combo to go with the look I'm after,Patched up exhause leaks underneath (cant see them) total investment so far is less than 1200. I'm on a tight budget and she wont see alot of miles this season, do you think I'd be OK folks running with 3 valves at .002" ??? others are all 3 with only 1 at 4 thousands. I have .275 's in all 8 valves. should I order .265 's ? cleaned and balanced carbs, will do a full teardown this winter, petcock checked good too. I've really enjoyed the work so far and the help here. " the zip tie method rocked " shared that with my friend who runs a small shop and he did not know of it ! The wiring was the worst, but with my Electro R/R , all soldered up and regrounded , my Kaw stator from a newer model , I've kept the repairs cheap. THANKS ! Dan

Comment

Hi,

I seem to recall that the spec (in inches) is .001" to .003". I would encourage you to get a real metric feeler gauge, since this is a metric bike. (What bike?) The spec is .03mm to .08mm. My smallest feeler gauge is .04mm. If that doesn't fit then I drop in the next smaller shim and re-measure.

Feel free to have a look at the valve adjustment guide on my website. Read the entire article as there is important information in the addendum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

valve gap OK then

Thanks Man ! .002 INCHES is .051 mm Sooooo I should be OK ......I was thinking the .003 to .008 spec WAS for inches,silly me again.......that makes me happy I should be fine for the summer then. Gotta get new airfilter to carb boots though as those old ones are barely sealing. Got some more new plugs to check,going for a ride this afternoon, not planning on chopping them,was just gonna ride around 30 miles or so normal and see what they look like?

Comment

Working...
                        X