Transition mixture screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transition mixture screws

I have a gs 1100 L that I got a really good deal on. I love the bike and it runs great except when you are coming off of idle giving just a little throttle there is a slow response right between idle and cruise. Its almost feels like the bike is taking off in second everytime. I have went through the checklist in your greeting and the only thing that I haven't been through is the mixture screws because they have brass caps over them. I am an automotive technician and in my world that means it wasn't meant to be messed with. At the point I am at it is the only thing that makes sense because I am definatly having a transition problem but when they are capped off it gives me the intention they are not to be f**ked with. The bike idles perfectly and cruises perfectly. How do you remove these caps? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Carzxl, the caps were put on there for EPA purposes and need to be removed to adjust the fuel/air mixture. Some drill them out and some use a sheet metal screw to remove them. Either way be careful the screws are not far under the caps and you do not want to damage them while removing the caps. If they have never been off you also might want to get the Robert Barr o-ring kit and replace the little o-ring under the mixture screws. It will be hard to get a consistant air/fuel mix unless they are in good shape which after 25+ years is not too likely.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

+1 on the o-ring kit. Buy a gallon can of Berryman's carb dip too, and do it right the first time, so you don't end up doing it more than once. The mixture screws shouldn't have too much effect on the off-idle transition. That's usually the realm of the pilot circuit. My best guess would be a possible clogged pilot jet. Either way, none of your o-rings have any elasticity in them anymore, and they all NEED to be changed before you can do any sort of real trouble shooting or tuning. I thought mine were ok on my 15k mile stocker, but they were all completely brittle.

Comment

turtle, nice spot on diagnosis. weirdest thing ever though. When I removed the rubber caps from the pilot jets the bottoms instantly like within 5 seconds of me removing the caps it would turn green and had like almost a corrosion consistency. The same thing had happened to the jets all green. They did not appear clogged but after seeing the green stuff I cleaned them. Put it back together and fired it up. It runs perfect from 1000 rpm to 8000 rpm (I never take it higher than that) in every gear. I started to fully disassemble the carbs but when I got into the first two I realized some one was in here and recently did a bunch of seal work. Carbs are almost spotless. A little bit of sediment in the bottom of the float bowl. Do you know the cause of the green stuff? I am going to run premium non ethnol fuel and continue with my seafoam regiment for a couple more tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by carzxl View Post
          I am going to run premium non ethnol fuel and continue with my seafoam regiment for a couple more tanks.
          If you like your bike please DON'T use "premium" gas. It is no better than "regular", it does NOT give you any more power (how can it, it has fewer BTUs per gallon) it only costs more.

Unless, of course, your engine has higher compression than stock and requires the ANTI-KNOCK additives that make it "premium".

Oh, the "non-ethanol" is a good idea, though. See if you can find that in a "regular" grade, 87 octane.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

? really 87? what is the compression on these motors? 9:1? ii would think with an air cooled aluminum motor heat and predetonation would be issues. the higher octane rating alleviates predet right? thats is why people started running propane drip ....to increase octane in the fuel.

My bbrother inlaw just burnt a hole in the piston on his yamaha and the consensus was from cheap gas

Hopefully this is untrue and i can buy the cheap stuff for my gs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by centeno711 View Post
              ?

My bbrother inlaw just burnt a hole in the piston on his yamaha and the consensus was from cheap gas
              the "consensus" is WRONG. a pluged pilot jet will burn a hole in a piston due to lean misfire. heat range of a spark plug will do the same thing points set wrong will too. I can go on because there are more causes.

CARZXL- transfer or bypass circuit you are describing is controled by the pilot jet you still need to drill the mixture screw caps out for fine tuning-- 1 step larger pilot jet and re-adjust your idle mixture. the bypass circuit will cover the off idle leanness by doing this.- IF,- that is, IF the symptoms are being identifed and described accurately. I respect mechanical people and I like that you didnot just start drilling and hacking your carbies.

a idle mix adjustment might just cure your issue if your bike noticeably responds to a little enrichment on each cylinder -- re adjust the idle speed down to 1000~1100 and know you are going the right direction.
              a needle position change will do the same thing but after 1/4 throttle

the transfer are most noticed 1/10-1/8 throttle
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Yessir, trippivot has it nailed.

However, just to keep it easy, I might try turning out the mixture screws before changing the pilot jets.

The stock setting on the mixture screws tended to be about 1 to 1 1/8 turns out from lightly seated.
                Most of us have found that it works best between 2 and 3 turns, depending on your bike, location, etc.

Start by removing the caps, see if your screws turn easily. If they do, turn them in slowly, counting the turns (record that number), then backk each one out to 3 turns for a starting point. Start the bike, warm it up, set the idle to about 1100. Slowly turn each screw IN, listening for any change in engine speed. If it goes up, leave it at the highest speed. If it goes down, back off 1/4 turn. Repeat for each carb. Go for a ride, enjoy your "new" bike.

If you don't get any improvement after turning the screws out over 4 turns, it's definitely time for new pilot jets. Less than 4 turns, keep the stock jetting.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by centeno711 View Post
                  ?My bbrother inlaw just burnt a hole in the piston on his yamaha and the consensus was from cheap gas
                  Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                  the "consensus" is WRONG. a pluged pilot jet will burn a hole in a piston due to lean misfire.
                  After thinking about it, I am going to have to disagree slightly.

Yes, the "cheap gas" probably caused the problem, but not due to low octane numbers.

There might have been some water or other crud in the gas, and that is what plugged the pilot circuit in the carb,
                  causing the lean condition that burnt the hole.

Yes, the compression ratio is up a bit on these bikes. In fact, my KZ1300 was over 10:1 and still only required 87 octane.
                  There is more to consider than just compression ratio when you look at octane requirements.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

The smallest amount of water in your gas can cause you to blow a hole through a valve like a laser beam. I've seen it happen before on a fuel injected car engine from "cheap" gas.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    After thinking about it, I am going to have to disagree slightly.

Yes, the "cheap gas" probably caused the problem, but not due to low octane numbers.

There might have been some water or other crud in the gas, and that is what plugged the pilot circuit in the carb,
                    causing the lean condition that burnt the hole.

Yes, the compression ratio is up a bit on these bikes. In fact, my KZ1300 was over 10:1 and still only required 87 octane.
                    There is more to consider than just compression ratio when you look at octane requirements.

Comment

I've never run anything except 87 octane in any bike I've owned. Never ever had a problem with it.

Have you checked the syncronization of the carbs?
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

The green was most likely copper oxidation, nothing to worry about.
                        Something most are not aware of - when a fuel truck fills the tanks at a service station, it stirs up water and sediment lying on the bottom of the tank. It takes quite a while for it to settle back down. You can easily pump that junk right into your tank.
                        If I see a truck filling up the tanks at the local service station/convenience store, I pass it by.

Comment

Very good information from all of you. This forum is one of the greatest services I have ever used. I have the highest regards for all of you. Unfortunately here in madison wi the only available non ethanol fuel is premium and thats sometimes a chore to find.

Comment

It's really tough to find non-ethanol here in eastern PA. The corn industry is really a bunch of BS, but this ain't the place to get into that

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              The green was most likely copper oxidation, nothing to worry about.
                              Something most are not aware of - when a fuel truck fills the tanks at a service station, it stirs up water and sediment lying on the bottom of the tank. It takes quite a while for it to settle back down. You can easily pump that junk right into your tank.
                              If I see a truck filling up the tanks at the local service station/convenience store, I pass it by.
                              I was thinking copper oxidation, but I couldn't come up with an area on the carbs where copper would be used. All the jets are brass... Copper and bare aluminum is a bad mix...

Comment

Working...
                              X