Maunal petcock conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maunal petcock conversion?

Hi guys and girls.. has anyone converted their 80 GS 1100 E petcock to a regular old skool manual valve? I'm looking for something that is plug and play.. bolts into my tank as is without modifying the tank. If so what bike did it come from?

Thanks!!

BUBBA

Try Z1 for the Pingle set up.

Why wouldn't you want another OEM petcock?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Try Z1 for the Pingle set up.
      Yup...that's what I did...

Sorry for the slightly blurry photo..

It works well, it looks good...but never forget that there is a risk to using one...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I am just funny that way, I just like having a manual valve on my tank.. I guess it's just my way.. Haha.. Old habits die hard sometimes.... Besides the OEM one isn't working...

Baatfam mentioned a risk.. What do you mean? What risk?

Thanks!!

BUBBA

Comment

Originally posted by jeepenstein View Post
          Baatfam mentioned a risk.. What do you mean? What risk?
          Forgetting to turn it off...unlike bikes designed for a manual petcock...the needle valves in your Suzuki won't take much abuse...
          So if you forget...expect to find fuel running out of your carb and maybe into your crankcase....

Comment

Haha, ok.. got ya.. My neddles and seat leak already anyhow... I'm trying to cheat by using the manual valve to keep me going for now until this winter when I plan to strip the bike down to nuts and bolts and start over... haha.. I just got it and I'm trying to cheap my way into riding!

BUBBA

Comment

Originally posted by jeepenstein View Post
              Haha, ok.. got ya.. My neddles and seat leak already anyhow... I'm trying to cheat by using the manual valve to keep me going for now until this winter when I plan to strip the bike down to nuts and bolts and start over... haha.. I just got it and I'm trying to cheap my way into riding!

BUBBA
              Well if you are looking for cheap, the Pingle is not the way to go.
              It costs more than the stock Suzuki part...
              Last edited by Baatfam; 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                Well if you are looking for cheap, the Pingle is not the way to go.
                It cost more than the stock Suzuki part...
                Not terribly much more. I got mine through Z1 for about $105 or so, including the adapter plate, versus about $75 for the stocker.

Comment

These work well from Z1 and a lot cheaper than Pingel (that I've had no end of trouble with leaking - 3 in 18 months!). You'll need the adapter plate as well.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Tight fit

Be advised that the Pingel is a REALLY tight fit on your bike. It will work, and work well, but when you're putting it in place, give careful thought to exactly how you want it to be configured on the tank. The clearance is much smaller on the '80 than the others.

HINT: The off/reserve/on handle has to be able to have clearance in all 3 positions.
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

No fit!

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                      These work well from Z1 and a lot cheaper than Pingel (that I've had no end of trouble with leaking - 3 in 18 months!). You'll need the adapter plate as well.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1744
                      That one looks good but it won't fit on Bubba's bike. (The '80 GS1100E has a 50mm bolt spread on the petcock.)

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                        That one looks good but it won't fit on Bubba's bike. (The '80 GS1100E has a 50mm bolt spread on the petcock.)
                        All he needs to do is get the 50mm adapter plate - it'll fit. I've got the same set up on my 1000 to replace the POS original.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

50mm

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                          All he needs to do is get the 50mm adapter plate - it'll fit. I've got the same set up on my 1000 to replace the POS original.
                          I didn't see where a 50mm adapter plate was available. Are you certain your 1000 has a 50mm bolt spread. (I've never heard of it on any model other than some of the 1980 models.)

The size of the petcock needs to be really, really small to work on the '80 GS1100E....as the clearance is smaller on the '80 GS1100E than on any other GS I've ever seen......considerably smaller than the clearance on your 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                            I didn't see where a 50mm adapter plate was available. Are you certain your 1000 has a 50mm bolt spread. (I've never heard of it on any model other than some of the 1980 models.)

The size of the petcock needs to be really, really small to work on the '80 GS1100E....as the clearance is smaller on the '80 GS1100E than on any other GS I've ever seen......considerably smaller than the clearance on your 1000.
                            I suspect this is where the US and UK model differences are throwing things. My 1000 is a 79 GS1000SN fitted with the 50mm bolt centre tap - the 'screwdriver to prime' POS. This is the smallest tap that's fitted to all the bikes and it's a tight fit. The Z1 tap is threaded in to a Pingel 50mm adapter plate - as much room, though a little tight on the fuel line routing as the Z1 tap exits towards the rear (so I have the tap angled slightly off square).

On the UK spec 1980 GSX1100ET (equivalent of the 1980 US GS1100E) that I will finish completely rebuilding tomorrow (hurrah) the tap is the 44mm bolt centre type and there is more room than both taps on the 1000. It has on/res/prime lever positions but is still a small tap (though not as small as the 1000 original).

As the fuel tap sits slightly more forward on the GS1100E than on the 1000 and the outlet of the standard tap faces backwards, the issue I had with the Z1 tap on the 1000 won't be there.

Incidentally I used the innards from the 1000 tap to replace those of the 1100 - they match up.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

As per the ones who know better (ie Terry Ray etc. You know.... Dragbike guys. I wouldn't put a pingel on my bike if it was the only thing available) the way the pingel petcocks are designed, if you twist the valve while it's dry, you've effectively ruined it. It's nothing but orings that work it, and running the switch dry will rip them. Maybe that's perhaps why you've had so many problems? Personally, I'd rather hand pump gas into the carbs going down the road than put a pingel on my bike but that's just me. If you forget to to shut it off even one time, there's a good chance you're going to have gassy oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X