Rusty Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty Exhaust?

After looking through a few posts and seeing a ROCK in someone's exhaust system, should this be something that should be checked? Say a stored GS for X number of years and the pipes look fine from the OUTSIDE but are rusted to death on the inside?

Like removing the system and inspecting for a piece of rust blocking the path of the exhaust keeping a GS from winding out? Or is just putting your hand over the end of each pipe while running?

I think the rock you're refering to was placed there by a young child.....

Not generally a concern, however, exhausts do rust. If you want to remove it, I'd pick it up and shake it around like Christmas present and see if you hear anything loose. If you're not getting the same approximate exhaust pressure through both pipes, it might be clogged with something.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

One of the greatest causes of rusting from the inside is running the engine without riding the bike.

Yep, all those 10- and 15-minute sessions during the winter that the bike is run "to keep the battery charged" or "because is sounds so gooood" are absolutely murder on the exhaust system. They warm up the pipes a bit, then cool off. When the pipes cool, moisture in the air condenses on the inside of the pipe and sits there, rusting away. For the sake of your exhaust pipes (and the engine, too), don't fire it up unless you plan on going for about a half-hour ride to get it COMPLETELY warm.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X