Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpm's/airbox?

hey guys ,

1980 gs850gl what is the right idle rpm's for my bike also what would happen if air box is not sealed around the seals for the carbs/boots will it make any diff or do i need to get that sealed up new guy and dont know much but i do like to ride lol sorry if i sound dumb but just trying to learn my bike and dont want to do the wrong things to it

About 1100 rpm for the idle.

Having no air leaks is critical, whether it's the airbox, boots, whatever.....there are also orings that are behind the boots that attach to the head. This is a common place for air leaks too. Need to get them all sealed up so the only place air is coming in is the airbox snorkel.

http://picasaweb.google.com/roostabu...850AirboxFixup#
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

thanks also it seems like its drinking alot of gas could that be the problem as far as the air leak goes ??

Comment

Mileage should be high 30's to low 40's. You should hit as high as 50 mpg if you just put around at 45 mph in 5th.

A leaky intake will make it lean instead of rich. If fuel consumption is high, something else is going on. Is everything stock?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

yes every thing is stock bit the hose that runs from the carb to the pecock im guessing its not the gas line lol its not hooked up it has a bolt in it i took it out and it sucks air what does it go 2 and should i keep it pluged or hook it up

Comment

That is your vacuum line and yes it needs hooked up to the carbs.
            Check out Cliff's site, there's a ton of info for 850's

Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

the crazy thing is it runs not hooked up but will it help run better and i just wonder it that will help mpg on it

Comment

Shouldn't run without it unless your petcock is on prime and not "on" or reserve, unless your petcock isn't working properly. terrylee

Comment

trying to find batt for cam but i dont have a ON -- on the pecock it just says pri and res also there is no handle like that is on the other pic i have seen it just has a whole looks like a flat head screw there

Comment

EDIT::

You have the dreaded '80 petcock. The principle is still the same.

I'll 'splain it to Ya...

The petcock has three positions. RES PRI ON.

Since this is a vacuum system the only setting that fuel SHOULD flow without the bike running (applying vacuum) is PRI. If the petcock is set to any of the other two settings (RES ON) there should be no fuel flowing to the carbs unless the bike is running.

So, if you're bike will run without the vacumm line hooked up...either petcock is set on PRI -or- your petcock is allowing fuel to flow when it's not supossed to and your petcock is toast.
                    Last edited by Larry D; 07-23-2010, 12:49 PM.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

You have the "dreaded petcock"...

Where is the slot in the petcock, lined up to? PRI / RES / RUN?

The vacuum line that you are talking about (runs to the #2 carb body) is for the vacuum petcock. If your bike is running now, it must be on PRI (prime) or someone has gutted it and left you with no way of shutting the fuel flow down. Either way, I would order a new replacement petcock.

$50-$60 of your hard earned money, and the best money you will spend on the bike IMHO...

Comment

here is the pic there is no ON or - OFF just pri

Comment

Originally posted by jtrip View Post
                          here is the pic there is no ON or - OFF just pri
                          I have the same one. There is no reserve, just run and prime. Turn it 90° with a screwdriver to change from one setting to the other. Priming empty carbs takes about 30 seconds, if the tank is full and the petcock is healthy. If yours has had the vacuum line disabled, it probably is not healthy. You've been running on prime, and run the risk of overflowing the carbs if one of hte needle valves sticks open for some reason (temporary blockage, such as a flake of rust or edcaying petcock vacuum diaphragm). That will drain your tank, probably into the crankcase. I'll second the suggestion to replace the petcock with a new one and hook the vacuum up again. 30 more years of trouble-free operation.
                          Dogma
                          --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

there is no ON on there just pri and a v at the top
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Horizontal is "run", vertical is "prime". You're running on prime. You would have to be, with the vacuum disabled.
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                              X