Fuel gauge not reading properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge not reading properly

I have a 1982 GS110G with 35,000 + miles. My fuel gauge has always read the right amount of fuel. A few days ago I filled my tank and it read 3/4 of a tank. So now the tank reads 1/4 tank less that the actual amount. Bad gauge or should I be checking something else. Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website.

Fuel Gauge Send Unit Repair
    (by Mr. Jethro)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Mine kept giving me false readings on my 1000.. discovered that sometimes the float arm would let the float drag on the inside of the tankk. Drain the tank and take off the cap and turn the tank up and down and listen to see if the float moves freely. Secondly there will be two or three bent over tabs on the float housing cover. Then you will see a small brass nut that attatches to the metal strip that travels back and forth on a coil in there. You can tweek that nut and move the metal tab to do a calibration. This process may take several attempts. Use a premeasured amount everytime till it reads properly.. That should bring things back in line. Just went thru the process myself and got it reading as exact as you could ask for. If the float is dragging just hold the unit along side the tank from the outside and youll see which way you gotta tweek the float arm.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
      X