77 gs750 idling/running problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 gs750 idling/running problems

ok so i just bought this 1977 GS750 for 550 bucks and its in good condition. this is my first bike and i cant wait till i get it going!!! when i bought it it would not start. the person i bought it from said it ran great. then he joined the military put it in his shed for a year then sold it to me. it had some gas in the tank. i finally got it running somewhat. it bogs down after running for a little bit. so i cleaned the air filter changed the fuel filter. dropped the carb bowls cleaned them. still had the problem. so then i dropped the bowls again cleaned the main jet and the pilot jet. and im still having this problem... ive hit a wall just dont know what im doing wrong. its like it would idle on choke you can drive it a little bit but eventually it just dies. i ended up pushing it a mile back to my house one time. LOL i wasn't happy. could you guys please point me in the right direction.

james

Check out Basscliffs' site on here and do the carb. rebuild, not hard there are step by step instructions. You should order new carb. and carb. boot o-rings from cycleorings.com. Do all that then adjust carbs and sync. and see what you got. terrylee

Comment

i just rebuilt my carbs with the kits from Z1.

77 gs750. 4 mikuni carbs.

i found the oem settings for the air screw in the manual but not for the screw that is on the bottom of the carbs in the cutout of the float bowl that says "DO NOT TOUCH" in the manual. the needle/spring was part of kit and i replaced before looking for settings on this. i know there was to be a stock setting for this as i notice hash marks on the carb body.

i cant find anything so far and its not mentioned in basscliffs carb cleaning bc thats a completely diff carb setup.

any help would be appreciated as i need to get this bike back up and running asap.

Comment

Search the forums for pilot fuel and air screw settings for these carbs on your model bike, as there is a lot of info out there and some very comprehensive threads and good carb tuning advice. You'll also find ball park settings depending on the mods on your bike e.g. pods or stock airbox or aftermarket pipes etc.
        1979 GS750E

Comment

Go back and replace the intake boot O rings.. Early 77 may not have O rings,
          if so You should replace them. You could also make a gasket for temp. The bottom fuel screw, about 5/8 turn out DO NOT BUY rebuild kits. Just O rings.

Comment

I just did everything they told you to do on my '78 GS750 (paid 400$). Not the prettiest thing, but now it starts right up. Other issues arose after doing the carbs, but tomorrow everything should be addressed.

Best of luck! Be THOROUGH on the carb clean, especially all the little holes in the components. I had to redo a few pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Go back and replace the intake boot O rings.. Early 77 may not have O rings,
              if so You should replace them. You could also make a gasket for temp. The bottom fuel screw, about 5/8 turn out DO NOT BUY rebuild kits. Just O rings.
              there weren't any o rings i recall. i will double check when i get home. if there are, i will replace.

the rebuild kits have been bought and already done, but i did save every oem piece in case a problem does arise with the kits/jet/needle.

i'll give the 5/8 turn a try and also research some more on here.

Comment

Working...
              X