New petcock seems backwards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New petcock seems backwards!

So, I got my new petcock from Z1 today and although the write up said it would fit on my bike, the fuel and vacuum hose fittings are on the opposite side from my original petcock.

Is this going to be a problem?

On my old petcock, the fittings faced the front of the bike.. on this one, they face the rear. Anyone have this issue when replacing a petcock?

If I just use longer hoses, will this be OK or is there a problem of kinking the lines?

Wondering if maybe I should just ship this one back.

You may have an issue in hose routing: When I got my bike last year it had the wrong configuration as well. The fuel line made an awkward bend and looked almost kinked. If you can, I'd put it on loosely with bolts, and "mock up' your hoses to see what you come up with.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

So, what did you end up doing? Did you find a new petcock that worked better for you?

Comment

well, I ended up with a different tank (rust issues in original) and I'm currently using a pingel-style setup. I'm planning on ordering a vacuum petcock for it. The 79 tank and the 80 tank use different hole spacing (nice), but at least the one available from Z1 is 50mm and the lines face the right direction. What is the hole spacing on the one you have?

Comment

Bolt spacing is listed as 44 mm. I haven't been in the garage yet to see how it'll match up. I guess I just took Z1 at their word.

Comment

I've seen several pricier ones listed on ebay, but get NO response when I ask for spacing. Ba$tards. Z1 is great to deal with, I'd give the a call if a test fit seems like it's not going to work, or even before.

Comment

yeah, Bike Bandit listed one that seems like a perfect match, but it was $30 more. I might just bite the bullet and pay the extra cash for one that matches up better..and return the other one. Oh well. I guess I'll keep riding my kid's bike for a bit longer..

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Was the Bike Bandit one a K&L?

Comment

Actually, I have to confess I don't know what that means.

Comment

K&L as the manufacturer. I've seen them listed for sale, and i didn't know if you knew offhand if that's who made it. At least I've been able to ID the year of my tank

Comment

bike bandit would be OEM...
                      thats why it was more money.

Comment

Ha! I shoulda known. Well, I'll be paying it now..I guess I don't mind that much, but I am bummed it'll be that much longer before I can get my bike back on the road.

Comment

couldnt you just put a spring over the line where it might kink?

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                            couldnt you just put a spring over the line where it might kink?
                            and there you have it folks!!!
                            a very very very good answer!!!!

Comment

Hey, thanks for the suggestion...I might try this!

Comment

Working...
                              X