Airbox questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox questions

Searched the forums for the answers but couldn't find them.

1. To the left of the air filter element directly below the air intake boot for carb 1 is a hole roughly 1/2 inch across. This hole is supposed to be there but it seems to bypass the air filter and lead directly to the carb. What is this hole and is it supposed to be open or filled with something?

2. Why would I have gas leaking out of the boot between the airbox and the carb (again, carb #1) and into the airbox?

Any help would be awesome. Sometimes just understanding can make all the difference.

Thanks
    Billy

Hey Billy, Your gas leaking problem is prolly a faulty petcock. Check your oil level cause in many cases the gas is also leaking into your crank case ruining your oil. You'd be best advised not to run the bike till you get the issue resolved.
    Is your petcock set to the "run" position?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Hi,

I see an 8-valve '82 or '83 "L" model bike in the picture in your sig file. I'm assuming it's an 850cc or larger. When you get a chance, go ahead and add the rest of the information.

1. There is supposed to be a drain hose on the bottom of the airbox, just about in the spot you describe. Has the fitting been broken off, leaving a hole there?

2. Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

mystery hole

There is the drain hose leaving the bottom of the airbox. The hole is directly above it in the top of the box directly behind the #1 intake port.

Thanks for the link. I found it right after I posted that I couldn't find it. It describes my issue to a tee.

Comment

photo of mystery hole

This is the mystery hole. I have it currently covered in electrical tape. Any ideas?

Comment

Oops, don't cover what you don't understand.

Take that tape off now, those Suzuki engineers were pretty smart back in '82. You just haven't figured out what they're were doing there.
            What's missing is the tube drain (#9) :http://www.bikebandit.com/1982-suzuk...850glz/o/m6120
            See this here:
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Not sure that it's missing, just mis-connected to the through hole at the lower edge.

Comment

D'oh

Ever have one of those times when, once someone tells you the answer, you want to kick yourself in the pants. The drain tube is there but leads out of the bottom hole. Someone must have set it as such as it is really well placed. I automatically assumed that this was the tubes' point of origin. So thank-you everyone. The next time I'm having difficulty tripping ass-backwards into something you'll be the first to know.

Comment

Working...
                X