Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle issues

Hi,

Today I finally finished reassembling my carbs and airbox.
    After some leaks and spark plugs issues, I turned the engine on
    with the kick starter and when iddle the engine runs smoothly.

But when I give the throttle a fast turn the engine stops, however
    if I give a slow turn to the throttle, the engine reacts normally.

I just cleaned the carbs, without touching the adjustments but
    didn't change the seals, as I can't find these in my country.

Anyone has an idea what could go wrong ? Sorry for my technical
    English !

It would help to know what bike we are talking about, but the same thing applies to all our bikes:
    if you snap the throttle open REALLY quickly from idle, they will all stumble, as none of them has an acellerator pump.
    You should have good response to a quick turn, however, so your jetting might be a little lean.

If you did not change any adjustments, it is almost guaranteed that you are lean, but we need to know what bike you have before we can suggest what changes need to be made. O-ring kits are available at www.cycleorings.com, I am sure that he can ship them to you at a modest cost.

Your "technical English" appears to be fine, but you hint that English is not your primary language. Where are you?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's GS 550 E from 1978 and I am living in switzerland in the French speaking part.

Comment

As Steve said, look at your jetting, if you are living in Switzerland, you are probably living at altitude, so jetting will be required to bring the mixture back to what it should be.
        Is the bike origanaly from there or have you brought it up from a lower country?

Comment

I baught it from another guy in Switzerland and at that time
          I rode some meters to be sure it was in condition !

Comment

I forgot to mension that this motorcycle didn't ride for a full year !

Comment

After turning the motor this morning without problems, now the
              2nd carb throws fuel down the small tube under it and it won't come
              On anymore !

Comment

Originally posted by Djairouks View Post
                I forgot to mension that this motorcycle didn't ride for a full year !

Originally posted by Djairouks View Post
                After turning the motor this morning without problems, now the
                2nd carb throws fuel down the small tube under it and it won't come
                On anymore !
                You just need a good old fashioned carburetor cleaning.

See cliff's website before you begin.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The carb are clean I reopened the one which was overfilled and reinstated the carb.
                  Again the engine went on 5 sec and now no way to turn it on again !

I readjusted the cylinders height that let's more or less air in, so that all 4 are as closed
                  As possible, can you tell me then the idle adjustment with the screw, where the throttle
                  Cables are ?

Comment

I may have found the problem, the battery only delivers 6.4V when the mainswitch is on run, so I am waiting this afternoon for a brand new one.

Comment

That will make a difference. I'm surprised that the bike even fired with 6.4V. It sounds like you were able to stop the fuel leaking in the #2 carb. Did you check the petcock for proper operation?

Comment

Nope I noticed that i'm also out of gas so tomorrow brand new battery and fuel, I hope I'll have more luck then I will be able to adjust the carbs.

I feel a little bit like a moron weeks ago I thaught of changing this battery but didn't, well next time don't think twice.

Comment

I was wondering what this port was ? because on the 2 carbs far right and the far left these are connected but right in the middle of the assembly no.
                          http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4928/carbg.jpg (circled in red)

By the way I noticed that only 1 of the 4 gets filled with gas and it's the one with the vacuum port on, so when I put the petcock on PRI it doesn't fill
                          the 3 others, I will check the fuel connections if these are not stuck.

Comment

Everything is clear, made it !!! The bike roars like a charm, I rode the whole afternoon, it's really differant than my 2010 Kawasaki !

Comment

Working...
                            X