Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petrol tank removal for painting

Hi all,

I had a quick look at b.cliffs pages, but couldnt find any info on removing the petrol tank on a GS.

Im thinking of getting in painted a different colour, along with side panels, and rear fender, and just wondering is it just the bolt at the rear of the tank (under seat access) that loosens it off?

Any advice will be great.

Yep, remove the bolt at the back, pull the fuel / vacuum pipes and fuel gauge sender wires (has your bike got a fuel gauge?), lift the rear of the tank slightly and wiggle it backwards gently - it sits on 2 rubber bungs at the front and sometimes they can be a bit tight.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yep. Some have two bolts at the rear off the tank. The front just slips over a couple rubber holders thingys in the front. Disconnect the wiring for the fuel gauge and the fuel and vacuum line before removing.

After disconnecting everything just lift the rear of the tank a little and slide backward.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Seanie View Post
        Hi all,

I had a quick look at b.cliffs pages, but couldnt find any info on removing the petrol tank on a GS.

Im thinking of getting in painted a different colour, along with side panels, and rear fender, and just wondering is it just the bolt at the rear of the tank (under seat access) that loosens it off?

Any advice will be great.
        Yup, the front is essentallly "suspended" on two round studs that are attached to the frame & have rubber caps pushed on them - make sure you don't lose those rubber pieces, they are just pushed on.

There's also a "2 bullet" connection wire near the the rear bolt that goes to the fuel gage sending unit you need to disconnect too...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Dang......finally something I KNOW how to do and I get beat out.....
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Cool, something for me to mess around with tomorrow during my week off work!
            Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

I show you how to remove my gas tank in the valve adjustment tutorial.

Eazy-peezy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                Dang......finally something I KNOW how to do and I get beat out.....
                Larry, you've got over 3,000 posts, you must know something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X