Fuel tank repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank repair

I have a tank that had 10-15 small holes in it. I've silver soldered them and I'm wondering if I could fiberglass over the holes as well. I'm concerned about the solder letting go. I understand that regular gas doesn't present a problem to fiberglass so I want to be doubly sure my tank won't give me a problem in the future. I will be giving it the cream lining as well.

What do you think?
    There is nothing more dangerous than governing in the name of a theory.---Edmund Burke

if you use fiberglass to repair the tank you will need to use Vinyl ester resin. There are 3 main types of resin used polyester, epoxy and vinyl ester each has its own benefits. Vinyl ester is used for petrol tanks etc as it has good chemical resistance properties, epoxy is more impact resistance and polyester is a universal......

Comment

Use an epoxy to coat the inside (caswell makes an excellent product) the kreem stuff is crap. Some have used POR-15 for sealing. Another option is a product called redkote, look here

They sell a complete kit for motorcycles.

Comment

I have been told that the alcohol in gas breaks down the Kreem. I don't know if that is accurate, but it is not a very well thought of product.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X