reassembling carbs...then i noticed something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reassembling carbs...then i noticed something

so i got my carbs dipped and cleand and i am currently rebuilding them...while doing so i noticed that on all 4 carbs there are #150 pilot air jets installed...according to the chart on basscliff's site my bike requires #160's...no i actually have a brand new set of #160's but they are keyster brand...and these guys have mixed reviews in the bike community...so what should i do...install the correct 160's that are off brand or keep the mikuni 150's installed?

A small difference in the air jet is not as drastic as a small difference in the fuel jet, so I would probably go with the 160s.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

steve your post is confusing...sounded like you were gonna say use the mikuni 150's then you said the keyster 160's...are you sure?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2010, 09:44 PM.

Comment

No, go with the Keyster 160s.

Most of the problems reported are with the fuel jets being the wrong size. Just a small difference in them will make a noticeable change in the fuel ratio. A small difference in the size of an air jet will not make that much difference. However, the possible difference in the Keyster 160s will not take them down to the Mikuni 150 size, so go with the 160s, regardless of who made them.

Clear enough?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

good deal...will do

Comment

I would never argue with Steve, as he is a Guru around here, and not to challenge his advise, but the first question I would ask is, how was the bike running before?
            If it was running sweet and pulling like a train, then I would leave it be as is.
            If you were having issues, change, and see what happens.

Edit: Ok, did not see your other post, disregard, as you were.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              I would never argue with Steve, as he is a Guru around here, and not to challenge his advise, but the first question I would ask is, how was the bike running before?
              If it was running sweet and pulling like a train, then I would leave it be as is.
              If you were having issues, change, and see what happens.
              Not arguing just verifying....when it comes to these carbs once is enough

Comment

A lot of the 650s came with 150 jets, the book spec 160 appears to be wrong, at least on some models.
                How well does it run?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Shibby, misunderstanding here, what I meant was that I did not intend to argue with Steves advice of changing the jets, no reference to you intended at all.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    A lot of the 650s came with 150 jets, the book spec 160 appears to be wrong, at least on some models.
                    How well does it run?
                    Well it ran ok with the 150 in but the bike was never tuned....I am currently working dialing in the bike with the 160....you can see that in my other thread titled highest rpm method

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      Hi Shibby, misunderstanding here, what I meant was that I did not intend to argue with Steves advice of changing the jets, no reference to you intended at all.
                      gotcha....

Comment

Working...
                      X