Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel gauge apparatus missing

I hope someone can offer some advice...

I purchased an '81 GS750 a few monthgs back. It needs a fair amount of work as it hasn't been used in about 24 years. During the process of getting it ready to run, I discovered that the fuel gauge apparatus that goes in the tank is missing.

I've combed through a multitude of sites looking for a replacement, but haven't been able to find one specific for that year. So, I'm interested in finding out which other gauge apparatus may work from a different year GS.

If this fails to get me a gauge, I'm looking for suggestions on how to cap off the hole in the tank so I can at least get the thing running.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Andy

Look up the fuel cock Not the gas tank on the parts diagram
    $70

Comment

Which '81 750 do you have? Is it a 750E or a 750L?

They have different part numbers.

It appears that both of them are no longer available, so you won't be able to order a new one,
      but it will matter which one somebody might be able to send you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Look up the fuel cock Not the gas tank on the parts diagram
        $70
        Lynn, The fuel sending unit does not appear to be available anymore.

I believe the sending unit base is the same for various tank models so if you check ebay and find one with a similar arm it should fit. My GS1000 has a sending unit from a GS1100 and it works perfectly.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have what has been tentatively id'ed as a 550 E tank on my '80 850L now. My L tank had the sending unit float on the left hand side, the new tank had it on the right. I flipped the windings over and installed the sending unit/float from my 3.2 gal L tank in the new tank, adjusted the swing of the float arm and it works fine. The float assy from the parts G that I have would also have fit but but I would've had to do the same thing as well as shortening the length of the float arm. Openings and screw holes all match up.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. awr1152,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

How about this one ??

Here's another......

Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

them thar wud bee the critters
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                  That would be an '81E. One of the other posters included a couple of links to the "L" apparatus in Ebay (thanks Larry D.!), so I need to try and find out if they will work on the tank. Visually, the only difference I see is the bend in the wire which attaches the base of the apparatus to the float. I'm not sure this would matter, and I'm to the point where I'd be almost as happy just to close up the tank and get it running...though it would be nice to have the instrument panel fully working....
                  Thanks!

Comment

They'll all fit, just a cse of bending the wire by trial and error. The gauges were never that accurate anyway so just get to know yours.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi Larry D,
                      Thanks for the Ebay links. I've seen several "L" apparatus before, but wasn't sure if it would work on my tank...if the screw patterns would be the same, etc. I'm trying to check on it a bit more to see if I can get the info...the part number is different, but really the only differencee I see is the bend in the wire which attaches the base of the apparatus to the float. I'm not sure this would matter, and I'm to the point where I'd be almost as happy just to close up the tank and get it running...though it would be nice to have the instrument panel fully working....
                      Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the advice Hampshire Hog...I was hoping that they may be interchangeable

Comment

BassCliff,
                          Thanks for the warm welcome. I've used the site quite a bit, and have rebuilt my carbs using the tutorials listed on your site. I'm also working on rust removal from teh inside of my tank. I've already tried EvapoRust...it worked okay but I think I'm going to have to raise the bar and do the electrolytic rust removal discussed in one of the tutorials on your site...
                          Thanks a lot!
                          Drew

Comment

Working...
                          X