No announcement yet.

1/4 throttle stumble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes you'll need to richen things up again with more air flow.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Wellthat'd be alright. So now I got a weird problem. My idle is either stuck between a low (probably 700ish, I'm not sure because my tach has never worked but based on what my car sounds like) or it takes off and sticks at probably 2k or a little higher. I'm planning on taking my throttle cable off and lubing up see if that helps, but honestly it doesn't feel sticky. I guess I was wondering if the new pilot jet could be the cause for the poor idle since it would idle just fine before the change?

Comment

Did you make sure you put all the rubber caps on over the pilot jets?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Did you make sure you put all the rubber caps on over the pilot jets?
          Yeah I did, but once it cools down I can check again. Since I changed my pilot and main jets should I take into consideration the other jets? I'm going to buy another set of plugs and do some chops here in the next few days, and I'll report the reults here. thanks again for the input. Always is helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Kapoor View Post
            Yeah I did, but once it cools down I can check again. Since I changed my pilot and main jets should I take into consideration the other jets? I'm going to buy another set of plugs and do some chops here in the next few days, and I'll report the reults here. thanks again for the input. Always is helpful
            Can't say I hear too many situations where people have to richen the main circut on a completely stock GS. I'm pretty sure the reason most all bikes come so lean from the factory is to comply with the EPA emissions test method of that peticular era :

Quote:
            "The Federal Test Procedure, or FTP, is a specific protocol "designed to measure a vehicle's tailpipe emissions under urban driving conditions," according to EPA regulations. The test is run on a piece of equipment called a chassis dynamometer, as opposed to a track or streets, and it involves a series of accelerations, decelerations, idling, cold starts and hot starts designed to simulate urban motorcycling. It covers a distance of 11 miles. The average speed is 21 mph. The average ambient temperature: 75 degrees. "

So if you absorb this test procedure and you understand the relation to the carb circut you will realize the pilot jet mostly controls the EPA emissions outcome. Hence why the factories jet so lean stock. In the deep south i'm sure a stock pilot jet will be suitable, however up here is the northern states when it drops into the 40's and 50's for ambient temps, the bikes low speed drivability suffers substantially
            Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X