Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found reason for poor idle

Hi All

I was admiring/showing off the GS in my father in law the other day and I noticed a slow drip, drip, drip from the intake side of the right hand carby (these 550's have the siamese carbs). I catch a drip and sure enough it is fuel.

Having read here numerous times that a leaking petcock is a common enough issue, I pull the vacuum tube and plug it and set the petcock to prime. The bike started to act like it was running lean. I tried to give it a fastest idle tune (which never worked before) and sure enough it would now tune fine. I had to turn down the idle speed screw about 4 turns by then end of the tuning process. It now starts great (although it did start great before) and idles smooth as silk. It also returns to a steady idle soooo much faster now.

I tried to see if I could 'suck' any fuel through the petcock vacuum port. No liquid came through but I definately had the 'taste' of fuel in my mouth.

SO now I guess I need to find a new petcock.....Anyone know of a good supplier in OZ that wont break the bank?

For now atleast I just need to remember to turn it to prime to run and to run to stop....Makes perfect sense!!??

You can buy kits for them . Ray at Suziparts in Adelaide will have them but they won't be cheap . Try your local Suzuki dealer , you never know .
    I run my 'S on prime all the time and have blanked the vacuum line at the "petcock" (I still imagine that to be a perverted animal of some kind) AND at the carbs . You just need to get into the habit of turning your tap off after shutting the bike down . Use your trip meter to work out when you need to refuel .
    Let us know how you get on .
    If you google Alphasports (in the US) , you'll be able to get exploded parts diagrams for your whole bike , prices and availability . I get a lot of my bits from there . Postage is about $50 (ok if you buy lots at one time) and you'll get them in a little over a week .

Cheers , Simon .
    Last edited by simon kuether; 08-10-2010, 03:19 AM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Thanks Simon.

It is already a different petcock. I looked it up and it is from a 90's GSX600....I have blanked everything off, but it is the remembering to turn the petcock off to run or reserve that is bothering me.

Comment

Yes, I've found suziparts to be helpful but prices vary depending on what you're after. I've found price & postage from partshark.com to be the best for OEM parts delivery to australia.

I usually go to z1enterprises.com first.

And for regular gaskets (not head), oil seals and cables local suzuki dealer prices are generally reasonable, and are often next day delivery.
        1979 GS750E

Comment

Even when it is turned to ON without the vacuum The petcock can still leak !!!

Comment

Working...
          X