What happens without exhaust gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens without exhaust gaskets?

I removed my pipes some time ago, and it occurs to me that I didnt find any gaskets between the pipes and the head, the bike seemed to run before. Do I need them?

Yes. Could burn an exhaust valve with a potential leak around the pipe.

Isn't it loud and does it not pop through the exhaust on decel?

Comment

There was no popping and it was pretty quiet!!!

Comment

Also interesting is that the post '82 550 has plenty of exhaust gaskets on ebay while the '79 has none.

Comment

They can be easy to miss if you haven't seen them before. They might actually be in there, looking like just another part of the head.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            They can be easy to miss if you haven't seen them before. They might actually be in there, looking like just another part of the head.
            +1.

They are very difficult to see, if you don't know what to look for. Take a small pick or screwdriver or something and try digging around some. I'll bet you find that they are there.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thank you for asking this question. I removed my pipes last weekend to take off the back tire and didn't realize I needed the gaskets. I'll be contacting the parts house today for them.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well ill be damned.... There IS a ridge in the head, Im going to guess thats them. I wont pry them out because I fear damaging them and I intend to reuse.

Comment

Taking the pipes off for the head is required, you should be able to get the wheel off without doing that though. Check out Basscliffs site for details but basically take the top mount bolts out for the shocks, put some wood under the tire while on the center stand. you should be able to get the axle above the pipe to remove it with the pipes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                    Well ill be damned.... There IS a ridge in the head, Im going to guess thats them. I wont pry them out because I fear damaging them and I intend to reuse.
                    That may or may not work as the pipes might not set the same way, the gaskets crush on install and I dont know if they are meant to be reused, or if so how many times.

I will say though, when I did my head and base gaskets at 25k miles I also left my exhaust gaskets in and it ran okay like that for the last 6k miles. I will be replacing them this time though.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                      Taking the pipes off for the head is required, you should be able to get the wheel off without doing that though. Check out Basscliffs site for details but basically take the top mount bolts out for the shocks, put some wood under the tire while on the center stand. you should be able to get the axle above the pipe to remove it with the pipes on.
                      Thanks Skateguy and I'll try it that way next time. But from what I saw the pipes wouldn't bend down enough for me to pull the axle out. Maybe the block of wood thing was my issue.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

not the pipes bending down so much as the wheel going as high up into the fender as possible.

Not the best angle... but with the shocks off the wheel can move up enough, at least on my 650, to have the axle clear the pipe. that black mess with a bit of chrome showing is my pipe... black is melted boot.

Either way crushed gaskets are nothing compared to potentially broken bolts in the head. I was lucky to not have to deal with that.

Comment

Put the center stand on a 2x8" laying flat on the ground.

The added 1-1/2" is enough to just clear the bottom of the pipes, with the axle bolt. Shocks removed...

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post

They are meant to crush on install. I'm guessing that yours are already crushed. If you re-install with the old ones they may or may not leak....

Get new ones, they are only a couple bucks apiece.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                              They are meant to crush on install. I'm guessing that yours are already crushed. If you re-install with the old ones they may or may not leak....

Get new ones, they are only a couple bucks apiece.
                              Yep. I have a set in reserve, in case the re-use doesn't pan out.

When I took my head to have the threads repaired, I was told that the Gixxers use a different type of gasket that can be reused. Apparently the drag guys have been using these on the older bikes. I just haven't found out what fits what.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X