Fuel tap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tap question

Hope that someone can help me,I'm new to the club and I have an issue with my GS.2 years ago I fitted a GSX1100 EZ engine and CV carbs into my slide carb model GS1000. my problem is that to get the clearance for the reserve position on the fuel tap I've had to jack up the tank by around 30mm, it works but ruins the line of the bike and I've had various comments along the line of "look at that abortion", the tap type I have is standard on the 1979 GS1000,750,550 &I think 400/450 but I could be wrong!!the tap was changed for the 1980 GS1000E/L. Any advice/ help is greatly appreciated. Johnny

why have you had to jack it up 30mm? is it cuz the tap lever hits the carbs?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You could try an aftermarket fuel valve. http://www.pingelonline.com/powerflo...ion_frames.htm
      Suzuki changed the fuel valve on 1980 GS 1000 Tanks. Unfortunately the bolt spacing is different, so you need the 1980 tank to mount the 1980 valve.

Comment

answers to my post

Yes the tap when I try to turn the tap to reserve it fouls the top of no.1 carb I think it's because the engine is wider front to back than the 8 valve GS -which makes sense. I could fit the tank off the spare bike that I have but it means re-spraying it,I'm also not sure whether its sound.The guy I bought the bike off welded up the original bolt holes and then welded a nut onto where the filter goes up into the tank and fitted a crude on/off tap that looks like it was made for a home heating system! not inspiring.
        The only way to have the tank in it's original place (and have a reserve) is to grind off part of the tap which I really don't want to do. Johnny

Comment

For the 1980 model with CV carbs, they moved the petcock so it wouldn't interfere.
          So a 1980 tank is the one you want. Unfortunately, they sold very few GS1000E that year, as the 1100E was also available. It is a very hard tank to find.

The good news, the 1100E tank or the 750E tank, 1980 - 1982, fits perfectly, the petcock location works well, they are plentiful. I have a loaner GS1100E tank on my 1980 1000E now, so I can ride it while looking for the elusive 1980 1000E tank.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I suspect the 1980 1000E tank is even more rare in Ireland...
            Personally, I would take the petcock to a qualified welder, weld extra material outboard on the tap, then grind away the bits that currently hit the carb.

Comment

The later taps were quite a bit smaller - have a look at:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I've used these to get over similar tank fitting issues.

Make sure yours is the 44mm bolt spacing (bound to be if it has a reserve but just worth checking). If it's 50mm the POS taps fit and they're very short, though they don't have any levers (hence POS).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

+1 with Wally (Hamp Hog). The later tanks with the CV carbs seem to have the tap further to the rear of the tank to clear the square top of the No. 1 CV carb. I had the same clearance problems when I fitted the CV carb head to my 550. I went with the Z1 fuel tap that Wally suggests in the post above. That gave me the clearance between the fuel tap and carb, but I could not get the vacuum hose on the fuel tap as the vacuum outlet was now hitting on the top frame rail. So I made up an 8mm spacer from aluminium plate to fit between the tap and the tank and this gave me the clearance that I needed. Clearance on vacuum outlet to frame, clearance on fuel tap to carb top and clearance on fuel hose fitment.

Be aware that there are two types of fuel tap from Z1 and they both look very much alike. One has a larger reserve than the other.

Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2010, 05:41 PM.

Comment

i still cant understand why you had to space your tank up by 30mm????????
                  can we see some pics
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    The later taps were quite a bit smaller - have a look at:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I've used these to get over similar tank fitting issues.

Make sure yours is the 44mm bolt spacing (bound to be if it has a reserve but just worth checking). If it's 50mm the POS taps fit and they're very short, though they don't have any levers (hence POS).
                    Hampshiredog, I have been looking for a year now for a 1980 1000E tank, was getting ready to buy a 1981 1100E tank which is sitting in my shop at the moment, it has that later style tap.
                    I just checked, using that tap I can use the 1978 skunk tank I have had sitting around here all this time.
                    It's sitting on the bike now, nothing hits, in fact there is about 10mm clearance everywhere!
                    Thank you for pointing out the obvious!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      i still cant understand why you had to space your tank up by 30mm????????
                      can we see some pics
                      When he goes to rotate the lever on the petcock from ON to RESERVE, it hits the top/rear of the CV carb for cylinder 1.

Comment

Fuel tap answers

Hi guys, just to make it clear, the tap casting where the daiphram srews in is sitting on the top of the No.1 carb. that is why I had to lift the tank.I measured the bolt holes and they are 44mm apart so I'll try to get the hold of Z1 enterprises in the morning to see how much the tap will be.I'll let you know how I get on. Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          When he goes to rotate the lever on the petcock from ON to RESERVE, it hits the top/rear of the CV carb for cylinder 1.
                          my petcock lever is nowhere near 30mm long from the bottom of the casting!
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

He has a GS1000 frame (8 valve, probably VM carb) that he has slipped an 1100E engine (16 valve, CV carbs) into. IDK what it looks like, but she ain't stock no more.

Comment

back again

Ordered the tap from z1 2 days ago, will probably be a week or more before I get it,I'll let you know. Johnny

Comment

Working...
                              X