Can I use a 550 carb body on an 850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use a 550 carb body on an 850?

One of the float posts is busted and and it cracked at the idle mixture screw when I was trying to get the screw out. I have a spare #3 carb body from a 550 of the same year (1980). They look the same to me, except where the idle adjust screw mounts, but the 550 carb has the holes to mount the plate for it, although the top one needs to be cut down a bit. I just wonder if internally there are any differences?

Does the 550 carb have plastic cylinder spacer where the carbs hook together? Compare the carbs and you'll see the spacer on the 850 carb and not the 550 carb. This affects spacing.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have used an 850 carb on a 650, which I believe is the same cylinder spacing as a 550.
      I think it was carb number three, no problems with it at all.

They are the same internally, except for the spacing issues.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Spacing wise it appears the only difference is between the #2 and #3 carbs, I will be using the fuel "T" and mounting bars for the 850. I guess assuming I can get the idle screw mounting tab on correctly it should be fine.

There was no plastic spacer when I took the carbs apart, am I missing something? I don't see anything on the parts fiche
        Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X