Carb bootay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb bootay!

Yo. So i've hopefully pinpointed my lean running fuel issues after i tried to clamp the intake boots to tighten airflow... yeah yeah i'm new. So i've been scouring the internet trying to find the right part. I searched all the parts lists i could find and only found "intake pipe". Foolishly i dismissed this as being a solely metal part since my old rock hard rubber ones had slipped right off the intake pipes. Finally after taking a closer look at Basscliff's walkthrough i noticed they were originally all one piece.

So now here's my dilemma, Will the mikuni generic replacements work well?

Hold up to daily riding? Effectively eliminate the O-rings?

And what becomes of the sync hole? Sounds so dirty. I live in the foothills in CO and ride into higher altitudes so i'll need to sync them soon.

thanks

I have synch tools, if you want to come use them. Don't know about those boots, the price is sure a lot better.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by ANON888CAFE View Post
      So now here's my dilemma, Will the mikuni generic replacements work well?

Hold up to daily riding? Effectively eliminate the O-rings?
      How much are you willing to gamble?

I don't have any boots available right now for measurements, but there is only one set of boots that says it fits 32 mm carbs. That boot happens to be $21.44.

In the process, let's just conveniently ignore the fact that the factory boots come in LEFT and RIGHT versions so they line up with the carbs correctly AND they have the sync port. Since these Mikuni boots don't say anything about eliminating the o-rings, there is another unknown. Are the boots long enough? They need to be long enough to get the carbs within reach of the airbox, too, unless you are going to introduce another unknown and go to pod filters, too.

Now, let's get back to reality. Why spend $21.44 for a totally UNKNOWN product?
      New, OEM boots are not that much more expensive.
      22.50 at G&S
      23.77 at Cycle Parts Nation
      23.78 at Boulevard Suzuki
      24.33 at PartShark
      24.38 at Babbitt's
      24.99 at Carolina Cycle
      24.99 at Motogrid
      28.53 at MR Cycle
      30.47 at Bike Bandit
      30.47 at Full Throttle
      33.28 at Alpha Sports

Since it would make sense to get new o-rings, the undoubted best place is cycleorings.com, where they are $3.50 for the set of four. If you spring for the stainless hardware, that's an additional $4.85.

NOTE: with the prices so close at the first seven sources, be sure to check the shipping charges, too. I can't do it all, I'll leave that for you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I don't have any boots available right now for measurements, but there is only one set of boots that says it fits 32 mm carbs. That boot happens to be $21.44.

In the process, let's just conveniently ignore the fact that the factory boots come in LEFT and RIGHT versions so they line up with the carbs correctly AND they have the sync port. Since these Mikuni boots don't say anything about eliminating the o-rings, there is another unknown. Are the boots long enough? They need to be long enough to get the carbs within reach of the airbox, too, unless you are going to introduce another unknown and go to pod filters, too.

22.50 at G&S
        24.33 at PartShark
        24.38 at Babbitt's
        24.99 at Carolina Cycle
        24.99 at Motogrid
        28.53 at MR Cycle
        30.47 at Bike Bandit
        30.47 at Full Throttle
        33.28 at Alpha Sports

Since it would make sense to get new o-rings, the undoubted best place is cycleorings.com, where they are $3.50 for the set of four. If you spring for the stainless hardware, that's an additional $4.85.

NOTE: with the prices so close at the first seven sources, be sure to check the shipping charges, too. I can't do it all, I'll leave that for you.

The 32mm boots start at $10.76 each.

but you're right, why buy them when you'll need the sync ports eventually, not to mention the headache it'll be to get them on if they don't have the same spacing as the oem replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Rein View Post
          The 32mm boots start at $10.76 each. ...
          OK, I was having a hard time reading the chart.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

boot it

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I have synch tools, if you want to come use them. Don't know about those boots, the price is sure a lot better.
            Thanks i'll buy a 6/12/18/30 pack lol. I have friends up your way i need to visit as well...

Originally posted by Steve View Post

22.50 at G&S
            24.33 at PartShark
            24.38 at Babbitt's
            24.99 at Carolina Cycle
            24.99 at Motogrid
            28.53 at MR Cycle
            30.47 at Bike Bandit
            30.47 at Full Throttle
            33.28 at Alpha Sports

Cool. Thanks for the price list. And i gamble. like mad! wanna bet?

But fook the dumb ****e right you know i went with the OEMs!
            I figure i've mutilated enough of this beast, might as well pop for the correct part since i already have the "unknown" of pod filters.

Ride on ya fellas. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X