82 GS850g Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850g Carb question

Sorry if this has been posted befor but i failed to find any results with the search.

I have 2 sets of carbies off a 82 GS850g. Both do the following and im hopeing someone can tell me if its normal.

With the carbies off the bike and looking in to the butterflys, when the throttle is turned to open both butterflys on the left open slightly befor the 2 on the right. is this going to cause 2 cylinders to run in advance of the others? does anyone know what would cause this (from what i can tell its got something to do with the spring loading in the 2 left throttles) and how to sync them?

All help appreciated. Thanks Anthony

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Counterpoint,

Edit: As stated below, adjust your valves first. Then vacuum sync the carbs.

You will want to "bench sync" your carbs before you put them back on the bike. See: Bench Sync Your CV Carbs.

This gets them close enough to get your bike running. Then you will want to do a full vacuum sync. See: Synchronize Carburetors. Also, see post #127 in my "restoration" link in my signature file.
    You'll find lots more GS850G lovin' here and on my little website. Let me lay some lovin' on you.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Counterpoint View Post
      Sorry if this has been posted befor but i failed to find any results with the search.

I have 2 sets of carbies off a 82 GS850g. Both do the following and im hopeing someone can tell me if its normal.

With the carbies off the bike and looking in to the butterflys, when the throttle is turned to open both butterflys on the left open slightly befor the 2 on the right. is this going to cause 2 cylinders to run in advance of the others? does anyone know what would cause this (from what i can tell its got something to do with the spring loading in the 2 left throttles) and how to sync them?

All help appreciated. Thanks Anthony
      Adjust the screws on the linkage between all four carbs until they open together by eye. This is bench synching, not too critical it's just temporary. There are three screws, with locknuts. They are on the part of the throttle linkage that moves when you open the throttle. Put them on the bike, then vacuum synch the carbs. This precisely balances the carbs, compensates for minute differences between the cylinders, slight differences in compression or whatever. This synchronizing insures each is doing the same amount of work at low power. After that it will run really sweet.

If you haven't adjusted the valve clearances, do it first, as it effects the balance between the cylinders.

Look on Cliff's wonderful site to learn how to do these, as well as several other routine maintenance items every old bike needs.
      Cliff is really quick, and his web page is a very valuable resource.
      Why, I wouldn't be surprised if he already posted his big welcome as I was typing this.
      Last edited by tkent02; 09-03-2010, 08:44 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just to let you know, I stupidly hadn't realised that there was a main throttle/butterfly linkage on the carbies that the others followed and was measuring from the wrong linkage.

Really appreciate your input on this guys.

Comment

Welcome Anthony, you will get plenty of help on this site.

Comment

Working...
          X