Vance and Hines PROBLEMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance and Hines PROBLEMS

After waiting a month for my V&H 4-into-1 for my 850L, I finally get it last week, and the damn thing won't fit.

First, the headers are too narrowly spaced for the ports. If you line up the left one, the right ones get farther and farther off until the last one is almost a centimeter to the left of the port.

Second, each ring at the end of the headers is out-of-round due to a nub on each one. They won't even fit in the ports!

Finally, I cannot for the life of me press the header into the can. This is press fit, right?

It seems to me that the first two problems could be solved by the use of force and with a grinder, respectively. But the third has me stumped. Am I going about this wrong? I sent V&H an email over the weekend, and haven't heard anything back yet.

Aside from venting my frustration, I was just posting to see if anyone has experienced similar problems with Vance and Hines products (which I thought were reputable for their quality), and what I can expect from their customer service.

What P/N header did you get? I believe the V&H 4-1 are offered in 2 styles, one for chain drives & one for shafty's (G model) like yours.

Perhaps you ordered the wrong one?
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

bore centers are the same shaft/chain ect.. and should be able to be spread to install.
      as far as the other problems...
      to much plating could cause the slip fit to be a pound fit.
      i'd double check the part numbers and make sure you got the correct pipe.

Comment

I would also check on your part number. If it is for an 850 you should not have to "adjust" the header spacings. I have only used a Street Megaphone type for a 1000 shaftie but the front spacings were perfect and I only had to fab a small hanger for the rear mount since it was slightly lower than the OEM location. I did have to sand the front pipe to exhaust connection area a fair amount to be able to slip on the megaphone.
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I double checked my electronic reciept from Dennis Kirk and the order was correct, but when I get home today I will check the part numbers and make sure they match.

V&H has so far been unresponsive to my 2 emails this week.

twr1776 - I may go ahead and sand mine down a little. Did you have to sand all the way through the chrome in any areas at the pipe connection? If so, is there any evidence of that the sanded areas might have rusting problems in the future?

Comment

I am sure if you take the pipes to an exhaust shop they can compress the pipe down a bit to make it easier to fit the megaphone on.
            Last pipe I had to shrink, the guy charged me $5. Usually they can resize down 1/16", or go up almost 1/4". I would think 1/16" shrink would do it for you.

-or-

You could heat the megaphone end with a torch to soften/expand it a bit and press it onto the pipe. This method will discolor the chrome a bit though.

Mind you, this is all a moot point if they shipped you the wrong part since they are less likely to accept a return if you've "modified" the part they sent you.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Comment

The issue I found with my VHR pipe, was the megaphone was slightly crimped at the end. I took a cone shaped object, inserted it into the megaphone and tapped it on the floor. A couple light taps and now it fit a little too loose for me. I cut a couple 1 inch slits in it and made a stainless clamp to tighten it to the pipe. No sanding, no expanding, was required....Just the lip was curled under.......Billy

Comment

I fit a street megaphone onto a 1000G fine. Needed to make a link plate for the back end was all.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I got the pipe expanded. Unfortunately it's now a just a hair too big, it slides in and out with ease but I highly doubt it will seal. I have some exhaust sealant from Autozone that would probably do the trick. I want to get in touch with V&H first though before I start sealing things together.

I also noticed something new that had escaped my attention: There is no chrome on the a significant portion of one header pipe. Where in the world was QC on this thing?

Comment

every side winder i have ordered didn't have chrome between the pipes.
                    some had rust between the pipes.
                    the harley guys wouldn't put up with it im sure but...
                    the harleys don't have the 4-1 collector to deal with when plating.
                    i'm not taking up for V&H...its just the way it is.

Comment

I had a lot of trouble fitting the megaphone onto the headers on the V and H for my 1100gl. I tried freezing the headers while heating the megaphone, lightly sanding and fine-filing the megaphone, etc. I finally put a piece of wood (2x4) over the end of the megaphone and hammered it into place. I don't think it will ever be coming out.
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Dont use exhaust sealant, just put a little bead of high temp red-orange silicone stuff.Let it cure before starting the engine.Using this you can remove the meg easier if you have to work on the bike.
                        marc
                        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                        1978 GS1000C X2
                        1978 GS1000E X2
                        1979 GS1000S
                        1979 gs1000
                        1983 gs400e

Comment

Frankly I'd be on the phone to where-ever you got throwing a fit. That looks worse than some of the junky MAC stuff I've seen. If they don't five you satisfaction, I'd be calling VH till you get someone.
                          BTW you are prepared to adjust the jetting for that pipe right? It's not gonna right right just slapping it on there...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Frankly I'd be on the phone to where-ever you got throwing a fit. That looks worse than some of the junky MAC stuff I've seen. If they don't five you satisfaction, I'd be calling VH till you get someone.
                            BTW you are prepared to adjust the jetting for that pipe right? It's not gonna right right just slapping it on there...
                            Dennis Kirk didn't want to touch it, and referred me to V&H for their warranty. I will definitely be spending some time on the phone with them next week. I did my carb work as soon as I saw the pipes shipped - 2 steps on the mains, 1 on the pilots, and an extra washer under the needle. So now I can't even throw the stock pipes on while I get this sorted out unless I want to re-jet two more times.

Comment

Working...
                            X