Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need some carb Advice lol (plug pics inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need some carb Advice lol (plug pics inside)

So guys after my electrical problem was done i was riding the bike for several hours so when i got home i was doing about 10 mph at bout 1/5 throttle turned, very very little throttle used but kept it constant for about 10 blocks and then shut the bike off how your supposed to...

here is what i got:
    The first two (the two on the left side of the bike) were identical and looked like this:

and heres the middle right one:

and the last one

I think they may be reading really off or somethign because i was going like 10 mph and only had it constant for like 10 blocks? i dont know i have 17 pilots but i have size 20 pilots on hand, should i put them in?... what i can say is that at certain times at low rpms comming out of a stop or high gear etc. the bike boggs a little bit but after a certain point it absolutely comes back to life...
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Looks like the first two are maybe slightly lean, not much - the 'middle right' one is definitely rich enough to open the air screw a bit, and the last one is just barely rich. I would turn the air screws out 1/8 turn on the first carb, in 1/4 turn on the third, and in 1/8 turn on the last one, see where it goes from there.

Comment

Originally posted by jqueen View Post
      . I would turn the air screws out 1/8 turn on the first carb, in 1/4 turn on the third, and in 1/8 turn on the last one, see where it goes from there.
      out on the first two? didnt you say their a bit lean so shouldnt i turn the air screws IN to restrict air and allow more fuel? and same for the others?
      Originally posted by tkent02
      That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
      John 3:16

Comment

The ring at the bottom threads are black and say rich to me.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

#3 being the darker one tells me you may have a tiny leak in your petcock diaphragm.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
            out on the first two? didnt you say their a bit lean so shouldnt i turn the air screws IN to restrict air and allow more fuel? and same for the others?
            Gabriel, you're right about in vs out - and not only that, but now that I'm on a different monitor, the first two have a little color (on my laptop monitor they were completely white), so they probably aren't lean anyway.

The petcock diaphragm leak may be an issue as well - I converted to a manual petcock, so I forget about that one, but basically, your vacuum line to the #3 carb could be sucking in a very small quantity of fuel, making the #3 carb richer than the rest. If you can't fix it with the air screw, that's definitely something to look into.

Comment

Working...
            X