Varnished gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varnished gas

Ok guys I got my parts bike to continue my build of my 1981 750 bobber, but the girl sat outside for years and there was gas left in the tank so it turned to varnish. Just looking for ideas on how to clean out the tank to make it usable again? any help is always appreciated.

How badly is it rusted?

Good gas is a useful solvent, put some in and shake it around a while, see what comes out.

Where in Denver?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Mooch,I would add a little to the other posters advice. When you put the gas in throw a couple of handfuls of M6(10mm spanner size) nuts in after you've taken the tap and fuel level sender(if fitted) out and plugged the holes, you can make a plate to fit over where the fuel level sender goes with the metal lid of a paint can turned over so the groove that sits into the tin is upwards and put a length of hiking bootlace smeared with grease on the inside to act as a seal with holes to match the tank's then put simply screw on where the sender goes this method will remove rust as well as varnished fuel.How is the re-jetting working out for you, and have you get it running yet?.Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by moochx5 View Post
        Ok guys I got my parts bike to continue my build of my 1981 750 bobber, but the girl sat outside for years and there was gas left in the tank so it turned to varnish. Just looking for ideas on how to clean out the tank to make it usable again? any help is always appreciated.
        Do you a little rust in tank, or lots? It will be obvious!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

From Cliff's site.......

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I am in southwest aurora (e-470 and quincy) you in Denver also tkent02? Its pretty bad but the outside is almost perfect so I think it is worth the effort.
            Hey Johnny she is not running yet my kiddos been sick so not much time to wrench but I am hoping soon. I will post up pics in my album today on things I have got done and also of her running (I hope)

Comment

Working...
            X